20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank?

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #81  
So wait. So many of you talk about using the bleed screw but that makes no sence. When you you even seen the guy at a propane filling station do that? I know I never have
I have seen them use the bleed screw at the propane distribution business many times. For home filling this is the only way that you can lower the pressure in the small tank enough so the larger tank has enough pressure to push the liquid into the tank being filled. It also indicates when the small tank is filled to capacity, ie. liquid starts coming out instead of vapor.

There is not a thing wrong with bleeding the pressure off of the tank being filled. ONE DOES HAVE TO MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN SPARK OFF THE VAPOR IN THE VICINITY. Propane is heavier than air and settles on the ground in the lowest spots so care must be taken to assure that wind dispersal is available.

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #82  
Many propane tank filling stations use a pump and weight scale.

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #83  
Did it correctly for my first time yesterday. Was no big deal obviously I just didn't fully understand the bleeder screw but makes perfect sence now. I did it at -10f even and worked perfectly. Extreemly gratifying to finally be able to fill at home rather than make a 40 minute round trip. Thanks for everyone's help! especially rangerfredbob! 20190125_125323.jpeg20190125_125337.jpeg20190125_125345.jpeg

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #84  
No problem, I don't think the same as everyone and sometimes explain things goofy... but being an engineer and working with engines every day some running on propane others natural gas and others for boats on gasoline does have advantages. It took me a bit to understand everything going on, and I learn things all the time.

Just be aware, one of the downsides of propane is it is liquid at -40 C or F (same temperature) and will not vaporize so you won't be able to fill the tank unless you have a pump and propane heaters or anything else won't work unless the tank is a higher temperature. But on the other hand, nothing much works at -40 or below...

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #85  
I just want to know why the reused torch tanks leak. I think the Schroeder valve is not reseating. I don't really care about the other valve as I can keep a torch head screwed on there, and keep it shut off, obviously.

I just filled 3 small propane bottles from a 20 pounder. They all leaked a bit but I would screw on a torch head and remove it to reset it.

I test it by spraying a soapy solution in the head to check for bubbles. It may take a couple tries to set them, but they usually set. One persistent one I just leave the torch on and that seals it.

/ 20lb Propane tanks - Can you fill from your home tank? #86  
I saw in the Harbor Freight flyer an attachment to the 20lb tanks - it says "Propane Bottle Refill kit' Item 45989. It got me to thinking about this again - I've thought it several times :confused:. There should be some way us normal folk can fill our smaller tanks from our bigger home tank. It's much cheaper for us to buy bulk LP than paying a premium at the store - plus having to drive there to do it.

If this is possible, what is the procedure and parts needed?

And, more importantly, is it safe? :(

Sssssssss.........Blammmo

Sunrise Propane found guilty in Toronto explosion | Watch News Videos Online