2120 noise in the front end

/ 2120 noise in the front end #1  

bb-427

Has any one had this problem I have a grinding noise in the front end only if it is in 4wheel drive could it be the ring and pinion?
Any help would be great
Thanks
BB-427

/ 2120 noise in the front end #2  
A bearing.... or gears. What else could it be ? The axle casting isn't cracked... is it ? Good luck, sounds expensive.

/ 2120 noise in the front end #3  
I sure wouldn't operate it until it's diagnosed, though it sounds like some damage is done already. There are lots of parts up there that don't like hardened chips. Maybe you can save a few... Good luck.
Jim

/ 2120 noise in the front end #4  
THose of us with the same model would appreciate a follow-up, thanks.
Jim

/ 2120 noise in the front end
I have something else in the shop and have not tore in to it yet mabe latter this week I will keep poasted when I get it appart.
BB-427

/ 2120 noise in the front end #6  
I blew the front differential on my 2120. Ring and pinion each lost a few teeth. Significant grinding sound. $1600 later it was all better and has been for about 15 years.

Andy

/ 2120 noise in the front end #7  
I blew the front differential on my 2120. Ring and pinion each lost a few teeth. Significant grinding sound. $1600 later it was all better and has been for about 15 years.

Andy

Oh yeah, remember that was 15 year ago money. Hopefully you didn't lose the ring and pinion.

Andy

Last edited:
   / 2120 noise in the front end #8  
Has any one had this problem I have a grinding noise in the front end only if it is in 4wheel drive could it be the ring and pinion?

I'm no expert, so take this with a "grain of salt." It seems to me that the front axle and differential do the same things in 2wd or 4wd. The only difference would be back in the transmission at the transfer gear. The front axle and driveshaft turn all the time, but are only driven when the transfer gear is engaged. It just seems strange that you would experience noise only in 4wd.:confused: AndyMA, is this correct? You are surely the expert for this kind of problem.

/ 2120 noise in the front end #9  
I'm no expert, so take this with a "grain of salt." It seems to me that the front axle and differential do the same things in 2wd or 4wd. The only difference would be back in the transmission at the transfer gear. The front axle and driveshaft turn all the time, but are only driven when the transfer gear is engaged. It just seems strange that you would experience noise only in 4wd.:confused: AndyMA, is this correct? You are surely the expert for this kind of problem.

In my case, I could operate in 2wd with out too much noise The minute I went into 4 wd drive the noise became pretty loud. I believe it was because with the missing teeth and no load they were just skipped over but when they were trying to carry a load they sorta ratched or jumped. Remember this was 15 years ago. I will tell you that the dealer who rebuild it for me (not my dealer) had to do it twice because of improper shims and blowing it again with in a week of getting it back

Andy

/ 2120 noise in the front end #10  
We're assuming it's a deep noise not a tin driveshaft shroud rubbing on the shaft? Any loose machined parts have likely migrated into the final drives, so be real careful how you move the tractor into the shop.
Can you tell we're feeling your pain? Except the money part you get to feel all by yourself, sorry.
Jim