214 will not start, desperate for help

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #1  

genos

Tractor
john deere 214
just installed new points, plug and rebuilt carb, still wont start, plenty of fuel, could the coil be bad, what should i check next.

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #2  
Most gasoline engines have a "kill wire" going to the engine that grounds out the ignition circuit and inhibits the spark. I'd look for that wire and disconnect it to be sure it is not inhibiting your spark. I'm not familiar with your engine, so I can't say where to look, but most gasoline engines (B&S, Kohler, Kawasaki) all have this wire. By disconnecting the wire, you can find out if the engine's ignition is working properly and if your problem might be one of the interlock switches on the tractor or maybe even the ignition switch.

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #3  
:welcome:
genos, are you thinking you have no spark at the plug? Have you looked at the spark at the plug? How about compression?

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #5  
Hiya,

OK, time for simple troubleshooting.

When you crank the engine, cup your hand over the exhaust pipe, close your hand, bring your hand to your nose and quickly smell it, if it smells like gasoline, look to the ignition system being the issue. If you don't smell gas look to the fuel system.

If you want to try using a starting fluid, go get some old fashond lighter fluid, the kind for a Zippo lighter. It works super good as a starting fluid and wont bend valves like ether will.

Tom.

PS, I don't know what engine the 214 used but if the points are located under the flywheel you did make sure you didn't set the point gap while the crankshaft was on the flat, reinstalled the plunger and make sure the primary coil wire wasn't grounding out? If you had to take the flywheel off, did you reinstall the key to time the flywheel?

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #6  
A14hp Kohler is pretty simple. If no spark,make sure you have power to the coil.

Last edited:
   / 214 will not start, desperate for help
Thanks for all the help from all that replied, big help, found my coil was spit open and had leaked all the oil out, replaced it today, and runs like champ. Boy was I going nuts most were telling me the coil never goes bad, well never say never.

/ 214 will not start, desperate for help #8  
Way to go genos! Nice job of troubleshooting and fixing that mower.:thumbsup: