22 hp Briggs Stratton Comercial wiring colors

/ 22 hp Briggs Stratton Comercial wiring colors #1  

2late

I just got my new Briggs 22 hp Commercial turf series twin for my small hydro tractor project and I am not sure about the wiring plug on the engine, there is exactly nothing that describes it in the nearly useless multi-language manual that came with it and the Brigs website is almost no help either. They do have a PDF with a diagram of the plug and wires but the IDIOTS fail to give the colors, basically a wiring diagram with no color code! :mad: Could anyone here help with the color coding for this wiring plug on a 400000 series engine?

I could easily trace the wires down by removing the engine cover but I have already installed the thing along with some other parts so it is going to be a real hassle removing that cover if I have to go that route.

/ 22 hp Briggs Stratton Comercial wiring colors #2  
Briggs typically doesn't supply wiring diagrams. That's the job of the equipment manufacturer. (YOU, in this case). I just bought a Briggs 120000 series (8.75) engine to repower a walk-behind trimmer. Other than the obvious two large black wires from the starter, there were two small black single pin wires exiting from under the shroud. One was the ignition (magneto) ground-to-kill and the other was battery charge (alternator with diode). I ohm-metered the wires and determined which was the charge lead and marked them. The charge lead will have resistance to ground in one direction (red/black meter wires) but not the other because of the diode. The magneto kill lead will read resistance to ground in both directions.

Some of the larger Briggs engines have two alternator leads in a 2-pin connector. (AC output only) How these were used was up to the equipment manufacturer. Some used both leads to a voltage regulator and some used a single diode on one lead to charge the battery and the other lead was used to power lights (AC). Yet others used two diodes in place of the voltage regulator.

/ 22 hp Briggs Stratton Comercial wiring colors
I am wiring the tractor now, no problem there, and I wasn't expecting THAT type of diagram. What I am somewhat unsure about is the wiring from the engine itself as supplied by Briggs, there is a six pin connector with five wires (four actually since two of the pins are connected with a jumper) from under the engine cover and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Briggs to identify these wires, they do have a diagram on their website that shows these wires but they do not identify them by color so unless they are individually traced identifying them could be iffy. There are two red wires, one is a jumper, a green wire, a grey wire, a yellow wire and a black wire coming out from underneath the engine cover and into the six pin connector and apparently at least one and maybe two of these wires also go to a voltage regulator mounted on the side of the engine.

/ 22 hp Briggs Stratton Comercial wiring colors #4  
We need the complete engine number and date to even see which engine harness was available. There can be five or six different harness for the same series and type. Using the harness part number used on your engine, many of the harness descriptions will have colors noted such as a green oil pressure switch wire. Or whether it has a built in regulator and/or engine management.