22 year old Steiner

/ 22 year old Steiner #1  

RcOz

Tractor
John Deer 553
I see a local 2002 Steiner 430 Max diesel with 1,100 hours. It’s in good shape but the age is worrying. What kind of issues come with age and what would a fair price be for a machine like this?

/ 22 year old Steiner #2  
Can't directly answer your questions due to not knowing this machine, but strongly recommend using the search tool to look at previous threads on TBN that discuss this machine.

Sometimes members will post discussions about a machine that can tell you a lot about a particular machine if you read the prior threads, but these members may or may not still be around to reply to your thread. Hopefully, someone knowledgeable will respond to answer your specific questions.

Basically, I wouldn't buy any tractor without also doing a search here to read what other members have already said about it.

/ 22 year old Steiner #3  
Can you post some pictures and how much they are asking?

Is it still in use or has it been sitting in the sun for a while.

/ 22 year old Steiner #4  
I see a local 2002 Steiner 430 Max diesel with 1,100 hours. It’s in good shape but the age is worrying. What kind of issues come with age and what would a fair price be for a machine like this?
I am the proud owner of two 30-year-old Steiner 420s. Each has about 2,300 hours. Both are gasoline engines with the original Onan engine replaced with a Honda at around 2,000 hours. Other than that there have been no major issues with the base tractor and only wear and tear issues on my implements. So I can't comment directly On your question, but I can tell you that the 420s have great longevity. Depending on how many attachments and what condition the tractor is in, I'd say the asking price is very low.

/ 22 year old Steiner
Here is a photo. It looks to be in good shape. Price is reasonable as compared to market.

IMG_1881.jpeg

/ 22 year old Steiner #6  
On the plus side, it looks like it has been maintained and cared for. I can see the current owner has dated the engine oil filter which means records are being kept. Seems like the tires have been replaced since they look too good for originals.

On the down side, the deck looks like it has been stored outside and has hit a few things. The deck wheel looks like it might have some rot. There might be some rust on the front grill, which by itself is insignificant, but might mean it was in a rust prone area.

I'd think a good price for it might be $5k - $8k in today's market for the tractor alone.

I would want to look in the radiator and check the hoses for rot before purchase.

Let us know what you decide!

/ 22 year old Steiner
I am the proud owner of two 30-year-old Steiner 420s. Each has about 2,300 hours. Both are gasoline engines with the original Onan engine replaced with a Honda at around 2,000 hours. Other than that there have been no major issues with the base tractor and only wear and tear issues on my implements. So I can't comment directly On your question, but I can tell you that the 420s have great longevity. Depending on how many attachments and what condition the tractor is in, I'd say the asking price is very low.

/ 22 year old Steiner
Thanks for the pointers