220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
Sorry guys, I didn't find an electrical section on TBN, so posting it in welding section.

I'm getting a 160 amp stick inverter DC welder. It's a 110/220 dual voltage, so could run on either. To make a long story short, how would it run on a 20 amp 220v circuit compared to a 20 amp 110v?

Here's the longer story to this:

All my outlets in the garage are on (1) 20 amp circuit, 12 ga wire. All the outlets are gfci's.

One outlet box is now empty, but has wiring in it from the above circuit, but also has a capped-off wire on it's own separate 20 amp circuit. This was originally a switch that ran out to power the shed out back, but is no longer being used.

So what I'm thinking to do is wire a 220 outlet in that box. Yesterday I moved the breakers in the panel next to each other, so now they're on separate hots and I could link the breakers together with a handle tie. But I'm wondering if I'm gaining anything for the welder if I'm still limited to 20 amps?

The panel is far from the garage, it would be a royal pain to run bigger wire out to the garage for 30+ amp breakers, so that's out for now. And in any regard, this would be a whole new wire job, since currently one of those 110v circuits is also powering all the garage outlets...which also brings me to another question, is there an issue with one leg of my proposed 220v circuit also powering a radio and something else some such?

Last edited:
   / 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #2  
I have a dual voltage 200 amp inverter stick welder and was not impressed with it on a 20 amp 110 circuit. If you're going to run it on 110 voltage you will either need a 30 amp circuit or be resetting a breaker often.

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #3  
Just pull the two 120v breakers and replace with a single 240v breaker.

Make sure and size the wire for the distance and load.

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers
Ok guys, I edited the thread starter to clarify my question: Would the welder benefit from 220v if the amps are still limited to 20?

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #5  
The higher the input voltage (240vac) the lower amperage draw (by about 1/2), to produce same heat as in 120 volts mode... 20 amp circuit is a "bit light" even at 240v.... What does the specs in owners manual state for max current requirements... Having low input amperage breakers is going to limit how high you can turn up the heat as at some point the current draw to produce a specific amperage/voltage (translated to heat) will be more than small breakers can provide....

For simplicity of explanation, 20 amp draw on L1 and 20 amp draw on L2 at 240 volts is sort of like drawing 40 amps on 120 volts...

Dale

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #6  
Ok guys, I edited the thread starter to clarify my question: Would the welder benefit from 220v if the amps are still limited to 20?
Yes,it will double the power. 110volt x 20 amps = 2200 watts . 220 volts x 20 amps = 4400 wats. It isn't a "royal pain" at all for an electrician to run a bigger wire to the garage. Hire one. The fact you have GFIs make this impossible,the fact you don't know electrical make's it foolish to circumvent GFIs in order to do it.

/ 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #7  
Yes,it will double the power. 110volt x 20 amps = 2200 watts . 220 volts x 20 amps = 4400 wats. It isn't a "royal pain" at all for an electrician to run a bigger wire to the garage. Hire one. The fact you have GFIs make this impossible,the fact you don't know electrical make's it foolish to circumvent GFIs in order to do it.

All true, and welding circuits fall under different "electrical codes" than standard receptacle circuits ....

IF you are considering the Hobart 160i, keep in mind that the 120 volt 20 amp circuit limits you to about 65 amps output... A 240 V circuit at 27.8 amps gives you full 160 amps... Minimally you need a 30 amp 240v circuit to get full capabilities and the you are on the edge.... A 40 amp 240 volt circuit give you some "wiggle" room...

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/owners-manuals/O278400C_HOB.pdf

See page 10 for voltage/amperage's....... See page 20 for proper description of how supply circuit should be wired...

Dale

Last edited:
   / 220v outlet for welder powered by (2) 20 amp breakers #8  
You don't what to be overheating your supply wire to the welding receptacle.

I ran individual wiring for my welding receptacles with there own breakers for 110v and 220v.

What brand of welder is you choose, what's the duty cycle for 110v/220v, and how thick of material will it weld?

Good luck,

KC

The higher the input voltage (240vac) the lower amperage draw (by about 1/2), to produce same heat as in 120 volts mode... 20 amp circuit is a "bit light" even at 240v.... What does the specs in owners manual state for max current requirements... Having low input amperage breakers is going to limit how high you can turn up the heat as at some point the current draw to produce a specific amperage/voltage (translated to heat) will be more than small breakers can provide....

For simplicity of explanation, 20 amp draw on L1 and 20 amp draw on L2 at 240 volts is sort of like drawing 40 amps on 120 volts...

Dale

Alright Dale, this is helpful, so sounds like I would come out ahead with 220 even on 20 amps? I don't have the welder yet, but what I'm reading on amazon, people doing ok with 20 amps on 110v. Somebody asked about something similar to what I'm looking to do with 20 amps on 220, the response to the question from Amico was that 30 amps is "better".

You don't what to be overheating your supply wire to the welding receptacle.

I ran individual wiring for my welding receptacles with there own breakers for 110v and 220v.

What brand of welder is you choose, what's the duty cycle for 110v/220v, and how thick of material will it weld?

Good luck,

KC

It's Amico ARC-160D, listing states 80% duty cycle @ 160 amps, that's all I found about that. Regarding individual wiring, if I kept it at 110, I'd use that one circuit that used to run out to the shed, which is on it's own breaker.