2210 Transmission

/ 2210 Transmission #1  

ChinaSailor

Tractor
JD 2210
Hi Everybody,

A few days ago my 2210, which I really liked as it did everything asked of it on a really tough piece of property except for not lasting more than 560 hours, crashed reverse gears and sent me and the tractor freewheeling down a very steep 50' slope, into a ditch, across a road, down a ditch into my neighbors yard! Yes, the pucker factor was very high..

But, to the point...

Do you all have any history as to any issues/problems with the 2210's HST?

After the dust settled, and composure quickly gained I found that I had hydraulic pressure since the arms of the removed FEL worked fine, the 54C worked fine so the PTO was working with nothing broken, I was even able to go forward in both high/low gears though I did hear the occasional "crunch" or gear grinding when bringing it back to the shed...

When I tried to go in reverse the wheels were locked, as if the reverse gears are locked...

Anyhow, the JD dealers in the area couldnt/wouldnt give a fix estimate which I kind of understand, but not liking it...

Am now looking to get another used 2210 or late model 2305 so I can use all of my attachments (FEL, 54C and Front Blade) so am questioning the reliability of the transmissions in each of these machines..

(Also, I had all 4 tires on the 2210 foam filled to a) give more weight allowing the tires to better grip on the slopes, b) lower center of gravity, c) didnt want to be a nail magnet from alot of builders debris. The extra weight plus the terrain could have contributed to the failure.. The operator was definitely at any fault whatsoever! :laughing:

I am also looking into getting a 1023E...

So, HST failure rate on 2210 and 2305? good, bad? Given a lemon, can I expect the same low hours before failures on these 3 machines since the terrain is going to stay the same?

Thanks for any help/info...

Re's

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #2  
I've been reading these forums for over 5 years. Never heard of a transmission blowing up. Assuming all required maintenance has been done, then it must be a fluke. Other things have happened like failed PTOs, etc but out of the thousands of these machines sold and still in operation, well, some fail and some don't, just like anything else. Unless the transmission is torn down and inspected, you'll probably never know why it failed and to do so by JD or the dealer will probably cost you more than a used machine!!! Maybe JD would like to pay for some of it but I doubt it. Old model and out of production and no history of this failure.

/ 2210 Transmission #3  
Mike
Sorry to hear that.
Have not heard about any such problems like yours, but do know that a coast down a slope is pretty hair raising experience.

Every piece of equipment has its limits. From your description you may have been a bit over those limits.
Here's hoping that the Deere dealer finds and fixes the problem, and that Deere will possibly see an offer to help with the fix. Often a dealer can make a case that the fix deserves some corp. help.

And glad to hear that you are ok.

/ 2210 Transmission #4  
Not that I 'm that mechanically inclined, but are you sure it's the transmission?
Since you mentioned grinding gears. With 400 hrs I heard grinding noises from the front and pulled front axle off. With help we installed new bushing in front differential and now it turns out after checking the final drives, that a seal on final drive has gone bad and dirt and rubber from seal is getting into the final drive gears, although all gears in whole front axle were not broken. In case one of your gears in the front got broken, you would be stuck too! I'm not quit sure if this would help, but to see if it is the transmission or the front axle gears you could disconnect the u joint from the drive shaft. Behind the front axle you see a rubber boot. take the boot off and slide it back. Take the snap ring off and pound with hammer and cut off nail the pin behind the snapring out. Now slide the driveshaft forward out. On the back end you see other u joint and duck tape this, so it can't flap around .Now start your engine and see if you can engage it in 2 wheel drive forward. ( done that before). If you see the rest of driveshaft spinning you know the problem is somewhere in your front axle. If the problem is in your front axle send me a private email and I will try to help you.

/ 2210 Transmission #5  
Why help in private? Sounds like you have some knowledge to help out.

All TBN would like to hear and learn from what you may have to offer. It is the TBN way ;)

/ 2210 Transmission
Not that I 'm that mechanically inclined, but are you sure it's the transmission?
Since you mentioned grinding gears. With 400 hrs I heard grinding noises from the front and pulled front axle off. If the problem is in your front axle send me a private email and I will try to help you.

Houkie!

Thank you my friend! While I did not take your advice literally it gave me one more thing to try before throwing in the towel and buying a new machine.

Due to the terrain the 2210 has practically never been out of 4WD, and most of that time in Lo gear...

So I thought, let me see what happens if I just put it in 2WD which would isolate some of the 4WD linkage and/or at least give me an indication if perhaps I broke a front axle or something..

Keeping in mind that I know I have good hydraulic pressure because the 210 loader arms work with no problem, the 54C MMM works perfect so I know at least the PTO and stuff works, and I can go forward but not reverse.

So, I went out to the machine put it into 2WD and it works perfectly! I get forward, reverse and the HST holds the machine as it should in 2WD.. No problems, no issues... When put into 4WD it does not go in reverse and behaves like before...

I finished mowing the turf where I could only being in 2WD... and it worked perfectly, even going down gentle grades/inclines the HST held the machine up both forward and backwards...

I drafted JD sales and service an email and fired it off to them, and actually talked to the Service Manager.. He said it sounds like a broken front axle..

When in 4WD the machine acts like it is in 2WD and on the slopes that I was on with about a 35 degree incline the 2210s HST just couldnt hold the machine and once it started to gain speed even the breaks wouldnt grip...

So we all "win" except for the JD salesman who can't now sell me a new or used tractor!

Gentlemen, I want to thank every single one of you for the help, interest and support you have freely offered to this hapless soul for without your suggestions I would have been lost!! Certainly alot poorer with a new machine that I really didnt need or want.

JD is scheduled to come and pick up the 2210 next week and if you would like I will let you all know the official outcome and cost...

Most Kind Regards,

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #7  
That's great to hear Mike. Glad you were able to separate the front axle out as the problem. Not that it is good news, but better than having to tear into the rear of the tractor for a fix.
Still not sure how it can free-wheel if the front axle is messed up inside, but can't look a gift horse in the mouth either. Let's now hope it isn't an expensive task to get it home ok.

/ 2210 Transmission #8  
beenthere said:
That's great to hear Mike. Glad you were able to separate the front axle out as the problem. Not that it is good news, but better than having to tear into the rear of the tractor for a fix.
Still not sure how it can free-wheel if the front axle is messed up inside, but can't look a gift horse in the mouth either. Let's now hope it isn't an expensive task to get it home ok.

Oh, it'll be expensive...

/ 2210 Transmission
Oh, it'll be expensive...

When dealing with a JD dealer isnt it always?

Too bad there aren't more independent tractor repair shops than there are.. In fact I can't think of even one in the area..

It must have to do with competitive pricing and availability of parts from the manufacturer... An independent repair market isnt truly feasible if the dealer gets better pricing and availability than the independent repair shop..

Anyhow, I will let you all know how I am making out with this...

Oh, what I think what was described to me by the dealer as 'freewheeling' was probably more in line as to what happens when the 2210 is in 2wd going down a 30+ degree slope after momentum begins to build up..

Today I did some tests on non-life threatening short inclines at 15 degree grades or less and found that the HST gear currently behaves exactly the same in 4wd as it does in 2wd.

My wife says that God was looking out for me yesterday when after 3 hours every single 1023/1026 w/ MMM that was demo'd and none of them worked properly, which ultimately made me decide not to get the Series 1.

Now have to believe that replacing an axle, or perhaps just some linkage, will not or should not cost as much as delving into a transmission I still have to rely upon the JD dealer not to completely rip me off and be an honest broker.

If that happens then it will be cheaper for me to go out and buy a trailer to put the 2210 (or any future tractor) on and take it to other JD dealers that are outside of my most immediate area for servicing if needed.

In fact if I had the time I would do that now just to get some second and third opinions and price quotes.

But, let's see what the dealer does - hopefully they aren't one of the dealerships that JD is contemplating on consolidating which would make them not care about future business and customer loyalty.

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #10  
Anyhow, I will let you all know how I am making out with this...

Oh, what I think what was described to me by the dealer as 'freewheeling' was probably more in line as to what happens when the 2210 is in 2wd going down a 30+ degree slope after momentum begins to build up..

Today I did some tests on non-life threatening short inclines at 15 degree grades or less and found that the HST gear currently behaves exactly the same in 4wd as it does in 2wd.

Now I have to believe that replacing an axle, or perhaps just some linkage, will not or should not cost as much as delving into a transmission I still have to rely upon the JD dealer not to completely rip me off and be an honest broker.

Mike

don't rule out the trans just yet, it still could be the MFWD drive gears/shafts in the trans that are bad. have someone els drive it and have a look and see it the front driveshaft is turning while moving.