2210 Transmission

/ 2210 Transmission #21  
Just signed up with tbn to find information on the john deere 2210. Interesting information on the transmission problem and everyone seems to be very helpfull. I will be spending a lot of time on this site.

/ 2210 Transmission #22  
Just signed up with tbn to find information on the john deere 2210. Interesting information on the transmission problem and everyone seems to be very helpfull. I will be spending a lot of time on this site.

:welcome:

I signed up years ago when I bought my 2210. This site has incredibly helpful people that are full of great tips and information. Also there's no childish banter between members that I've seen on other sites, just people that want to help and pass on things they've picked up over the years. Welcome aboard!

/ 2210 Transmission

I've found the depth and breadth of the individual and the collective wisdom and viewpoints of the members here is exceedingly great, and will help you resolve most any problems or issues that you may have.

I joined here many years ago when looking to purchase my first tractor and was helped tremendously in making the best make/model purchasing decision based upon the requirements as dictated by the terrain I was working on and specific tasks.

Well, these people here and certainly God Almighty whom i sometimes fail to acknowledge as the final arbiter and help!!! :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #24  
35 deg hill is pretty dam steep, I hope your repair bill is not to steep. In the future on your repaired tractor or a new tractor please reconsider what method you choose to a grip the ground. Turf tires and the 35 deg slope with added weight is just asking for trouble, not to mention the extra wear and tear on the HST even on a flat surface starting , stopping and reversing the motion of all that extra weight. Consider a more agressive tire tread pattern like maybe an R3 and forget the extra weight.

/ 2210 Transmission
35 deg hill is pretty dam steep, I hope your repair bill is not to steep. In the future on your repaired tractor or a new tractor please reconsider what method you choose to a grip the ground. Turf tires and the 35 deg slope with added weight is just asking for trouble, not to mention the extra wear and tear on the HST even on a flat surface starting , stopping and reversing the motion of all that extra weight. Consider a more agressive tire tread pattern like maybe an R3 and forget the extra weight.

I hope my repair bill is not too steep as well. But with the help I received from the members here in the forum at least I have been able to isolate the problem to something in the 4WD part of the transmission.

The HST is in good working order, I have plenty of hydraulic pressure which means the pumps and seals are good, the PTO works perfectly - it's the 4WD that is not working right, and the problem unfortunately is not in the front wheel differential or front axles, it's in the transmission.

I have the 2210 standard industrial tires, not turf and not bar, something in between. I could not even attempt to use the tractor with turf tires, and the more agressive bar tires would just cut up the turf and terrain.

On the next tractor instead of foam filled I will have them liquid filled halfway to give extra weight and lower center of gravity with reduced weight.

With the collective help here on the Forum we were able to satisfactorilly isolate the problem far far better than my JD dealer service techs were able to.

Anyhow, thank you for the reply.

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission
Well Gentlemen..

Got the prognosis from the JD dealer..

What failed was the throw-out or release bearing in the transmission.

After it failed the technician said that there are little pieces of metal all inside the tranny which he believes he got out. Didn't see any other visual damage, but cannot guarantee the tranny will hold over an extended period of time.

No visual or obvious reason why the throw-out bearing failed at only 560 hours.

Even though the machine is 7+ years old, but due to the low hours the Dealer will ask JD for some monetary support. But not hopeful as it exceeds their guidelines.

The total monetary damaged:

$2000 on parts and another $2000 on labor.

parts includes all oils, gaskets, seals, transportation costs, etc etc and the throwout bearing.. No other bearings will be replaced as the cost will be astronomical...

Machine will be down until late next week.

The upside if any?

Well, I didn't get the 1023/1026 which I didnt like because of the MMM.

Hopefully I will now have the time to get myself a low-hour 2010/2011 JD2305 CUT with some remaining warranty so I can use all of my JD2210 attachments. And then sell the 2210.

Any other input, insight or persepctive would be appreciated.

Re's

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #27  
I'm currently shopping for replacement front tires, after 9 years. Am interested in better traction and am considering industrial tread, since I have all yard and woods and don't want to tear up yard areas with ag tires. How did you get the "standard industrial tires", and what brand and model are they? I know what they are but haven't found them available except online. There aren't any 2210 front wheel tires available via JD dealer up this way.

/ 2210 Transmission
I think the "industrial tires" were also known as "R2's" ... I don't know what they are calling them now.. I would call JD and ask them what the replacement tire p/n is for the 2210... You are going to get JD to dismount the old and mount the new, correct? Think about getting them liquid filled to lower the center of gravity and add a bit of weight to the front...

Mike

/ 2210 Transmission #29  
I have the exact problem with my 2210. front wheels lock going reverse in 4WD. already rebuilt the front end gears (a total of $200 doing it all myself and Ebaying the parts) I'm not about to pay JD $2500.00!! AND DIDNT! Front is now like new with no grinding and very smooth.

But the locking in reverse still exists. I will say tearing apart the body to get to the tranny is about 5 hours work and I haven't actually pulled the tranny apart yet. So I can see $2K for labor, I wont pay $2K for something I know I can do myself but its a lot of work.

I have the same problem, the throw out is OK (already checked that, BTW, that's an EASY take down, less than 1 hour) but I can feel a lot of bad crunching when I turn the front drive shaft reverse. Forward is OK.
SO Ill be tearing into this next week. I WONT be sending it to ANY JD rip off dealer. Many have gone out of Biz around me... Wonder why. With the INET, there is simply no reason to use these POS dealers. Nothing a good set of diagrams, wholesale parts (all made in China anyway) and good sense cant fix.