2210D Broken rearend...any insight?

/ 2210D Broken rearend...any insight? #1  

sgtdiesel

Tractor
YM 2210D
First let me say this about the quality of my tractor 2210D...Hats off to LMTC folks in Blanchester OH where I bought my unit. Wayne and his guys are a very reputable sort and I got a great deal from him. The tractor is extremely heavy duty and very well built.

I had gotten my tractor stuck in a spring mire and had to retrieve it with another tractor. Had a buddy help by spinning the 2210d tires as I tugged. He enaged the diff lock or hit the brakes with the tires spinning and broke "something" (he heard the pop and then power to the rear ceased). The front axle, PTO, Trans and one rear wheel when depressing the diff lock (right side) works fine. The left rear axle has no power. If I turn the left (broken side by hand, the internals do not seem to rotate the trans gear mass. The right side does engage in the gear mass through the tranny as it should. Obviosuly my problem is in the left side.

What I have done thus far...pulled both fenders, seat, rear lift unit, left brake shoe cover/shoes (which look great). Peering inside the brake housing and from what I can see so far from the top of the differential, I do not see any obvious signs of damage (no broken teeth, metal and the oil looks fine). I need to pull the left axle out as I suspect either spiders or broken axle. Question: Will the axle come away if I remove the rear axle to transmission housing or is there an internal retainer in the diff holding the axle from within the differential? I have ordered a YM 2210D manual from Hoyes but the UPS guy hasn'e been by the house yet. Anyone have an idea/insight on how may I pull the axle?

BTW...I am very mechenically inclined (former ASE and 4x4 hobbyist).

(From the new guy)

Thanks, Wayne

/ 2210D Broken rearend...any insight? #2  
Wayne,

Sorry to hear about that. Never had a yanmar apart, but hear they are pretty easy to fix. Sounds like your buddy either snapped the left axle, stripped it's splines or something worse.

The trumpet should unbolt from the differential housing and the axle will pop right out with it. But, I also think that you may be able to just pull the axle.

You may also want to slip out the PTO shaft. Any broken bits will be down there in view with the shaft out.

Hope it's an easy fix!
jb

/ 2210D Broken rearend...any insight? #3  
Might want to get a manual before much more dis-assembly. You may have already taken off more than you need. Good luck, and if possible, pics would be interesting for those of us not actually involved in the repair.

/ 2210D Broken rearend...any insight? #4  
First let me say this about the quality of my tractor 2210D...Hats off to LMTC folks in Blanchester OH where I bought my unit. Wayne and his guys are a very reputable sort and I got a great deal from him. The tractor is extremely heavy duty and very well built.

I had gotten my tractor stuck in a spring mire and had to retrieve it with another tractor. Had a buddy help by spinning the 2210d tires as I tugged. He enaged the diff lock or hit the brakes with the tires spinning and broke "something" (he heard the pop and then power to the rear ceased). The front axle, PTO, Trans and one rear wheel when depressing the diff lock (right side) works fine. The left rear axle has no power. If I turn the left (broken side by hand, the internals do not seem to rotate the trans gear mass. The right side does engage in the gear mass through the tranny as it should. Obviosuly my problem is in the left side.

What I have done thus far...pulled both fenders, seat, rear lift unit, left brake shoe cover/shoes (which look great). Peering inside the brake housing and from what I can see so far from the top of the differential, I do not see any obvious signs of damage (no broken teeth, metal and the oil looks fine). I need to pull the left axle out as I suspect either spiders or broken axle. Question: Will the axle come away if I remove the rear axle to transmission housing or is there an internal retainer in the diff holding the axle from within the differential? I have ordered a YM 2210D manual from Hoyes but the UPS guy hasn'e been by the house yet. Anyone have an idea/insight on how may I pull the axle?

BTW...I am very mechenically inclined (former ASE and 4x4 hobbyist).

(From the new guy)

Thanks, Wayne

Its been a long time but this is exactly the problem I am having with my tractor. What did you find to be the problem??