2216 HST hour meter not working

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #1  

Brandonasat

Tractor
Mahindra 2216 HST
Hi guys, I recently purchased a used 2216 HST. I love the tractor, but the hour meter has stopped working. Has anyone else had trouble with this or could point me in the right direction to troubleshoot? I have already checked fuses with an ohm meter and all other gauges on the dash work correctly. Thank you!

Brandon

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #2  
when your tractor is running what voltage if any do you have at the hour meter?

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working
Dave, Yes, the tach works fine.

SedonaDave, im not sure how to check the voltage at the hour meter.

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #5  
It's a mechanical meter. If the tach is working, then the cable from the engine (think old school speedo cable) is fine. That means the issue is inside the tach/hour meter itself. You might just add a Hobbs meter somewhere and live without the dash mounted hour meter. Just keep in mind that the Hobbs meter records all hours as if it were a clock, the dash meter records an hour in one clock hour only if you are running at PTO speed.

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working
Adding another meter sounds like the best way to go. Thank you for your help!

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #7  
There are places that fix or restore mechanical speedometers/odometers for cars and could probably fix this as well, but I doubt it would be worth the expense.

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #8  
Dave....is that the same for all tractor hour meters that they only work when the tractor is operating at PTO speed? If your tractor is at 1500 rpm....does it not count at all?

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #9  
At 1500 rpm the tractor would put on about 1500/2400 = 6/10th of an hour in one true 60 minute time period. Essentially, it measures the amount of work done. This is common on ag products. Commercial equipment tends to use a Hobbs where an hour is an hour.

/ 2216 HST hour meter not working #10  
At 1500 rpm the tractor would put on about 1500/2400 = 6/10th of an hour in one true 60 minute time period. Essentially, it measures the amount of work done. This is common on ag products. Commercial equipment tends to use a Hobbs where an hour is an hour.

Wow that's news to me. How about the meters on the 1538 and other later tier 4 machines that are driven by the ECU and a small microcontroller in the dash display?