2240 rear axle slop

/ 2240 rear axle slop #1  

mtDanE

Tractor
JD 2240, JD 1010u JD1010r, JD 420 l&g, JD 110 l&g
Hi All,

I dug into the rear left axle because it was leaking fluid. (also fixing the oil leak on Load Control for the 3pt) I have new seal, bearing and cups on order. but while tearing it down I noticed a lot of play in and out about 1/2in. the inside bearing is worn and pitted up, including the cup. the outside bearing and cup look good but since i have to remove it to replace the seal, I'm going to replace it also. I'm not sure if that worn bearing will account for of the slop.

When I pulled the planetary gears out the bolt and retaining plate were loose. is this where I should be taking up the slope? I noticed on jdparts that there are also shim. is this how you would take up the slop? any insight on how to remove the slop, once the new bearing are in place would be appreciated.

thanks.
Dane

/ 2240 rear axle slop #2  
I think the bad bearings and loose bolt caused your slop. You are correct the shims are to preload the bearings and there should not be any slop.
you need an inch-lbs torque wrench to check the bearing preload. There is a specification for number of inch-lbs it takes to rotate the the axle shaft they are different for new and used bearings. Check with your dealer for this spec. Since bearings are made pretty uniform the axle and case would be your varibles and if it was shimmed correctly the first time, your current shims should still be right.