2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #11  
Only trick is getting L/D control cam relocated correctly in 3 pt operating linkage

Attachments

• mvphoto1105.gif
    mvphoto1105.gif
    39.1 KB · Views: 178
   / 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #12  
Before pulling the rockshaft cover put the load selector lever in "L"
Tighten cover bolts to 85 lb ft when reassembling

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #13  
Zebrafive
Granted it's been a long,long time since I was a JD dealer service manager BUT please explain why one needs to put L/D in "L"? I thought "D" setting removed the most tension from rockshaft control linkage and L/D cam.Thanks,Jim

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #14  
That's the very first step in the service manual. Put selector lever in "L" No explanation why

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement
I put the selector in "L" and removed the housing today. Found nothing out of the ordinary. Fished around with a magnet and came back empty.
It looks like I will have to fabricate my own tab to weld on the rail.

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #16  
Good luck, still beats splitting the tractor and replacing that shaft.

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #17  
I agree welding tab on shift rod is much,much easier than a tractor split.BTDT

Was able to weld tab on shift rail and got everything back together with new shifter cover housing.
It now appears that I have an unrelated issue with the main engine clutch. In the past I would notice the gear would grind occasionally when trying to shift at higher RPMs (above idle). Now the gears grind even at idle. The tractor will even creep forward when in gear with the clutch pushed in.
I checked and adjusted clutch pedal linkage with no change. I took off the access plug in the bell housing and turned the three double nuts in 2 turns then re-adjusted the clutch pedal with no improvement. Tractor still creeps when in gear.
Any ideas? I can't adjust the double nuts much more or I will run out of adjustment on my pedal linkage.

/ 2240 Shift Shaft/Fork Replacement #19  
I think you have a warped clutch plate or a "dry" pilot brg. I think a tractor split is in the near future for you.

I think you have a warped clutch plate or a "dry" pilot brg. I think a tractor split is in the near future for you.

Sounds like fun!