2240 Sun gear Lock Plate

/ 2240 Sun gear Lock Plate #1  

mtDanE

Tractor
JD 2240, JD 1010u JD1010r, JD 420 l&g, JD 110 l&g
Hey all,

I hope this it a quick question. I started hearing a noise from the Transmission, long story short, it ended up being the lock plate in the left axle that holds the planet pinion carrier to the axle shaft. the gears chewed it up to just slivers. It looks like the short axle stub shaft is all the holds it there. but I don't have a lot of faith that it is all there is to it. if that is it I do not know how it feel out to begin with or was it a sloppy repair job from before. It's #29 in the image - attached.

Thanks for any insight.

Thanks Dan

2240axle.PNG

/ 2240 Sun gear Lock Plate #2  
Hey all,

I hope this it a quick question. I started hearing a noise from the Transmission, long story short, it ended up being the lock plate in the left axle that holds the planet pinion carrier to the axle shaft. the gears chewed it up to just slivers. It looks like the short axle stub shaft is all the holds it there. but I don't have a lot of faith that it is all there is to it. if that is it I do not know how it feel out to begin with or was it a sloppy repair job from before. It's #29 in the image - attached.

Thanks for any insight.

Thanks Dan

View attachment 512174

I've seen some that have a oring that holds it down on top of 12 point bolt head. I've seen some that just sit in top. I've always put a oring to just hold in place for install

/ 2240 Sun gear Lock Plate #3  
Set the dragtorque on the bearings ...then install lockplate and undo the bolt till it lock that plate in its place

/ 2240 Sun gear Lock Plate
Thanks guys, I ended up backing the bolt up as suggested to hold the plate in place as I assembled it. Dan