2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower

/ 2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower
Yes...New Hampshire gets a lot of snow, although we were fortunate not to get too much this winter.

/ 2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Long time lurker close to a purchase on a 2305. Here's my deal (please advise your thoughts):

2305 w/Turfs, 200CX Loader, 54"MMM, Ballast Box $14,050

I have a 200' flat driveway and will need to use the 2305 for snow removal during the New Hampshire winters. My question is whether or not the loader alone will cut it for snow removal for me as I would like to avoid spending another $2.5K for the snow thrower. I realize I will need chains as well or a second set of tires.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!!

)</font>

Everything looks OK to me except my only concern I see and no one else has brought this up is the Turf's. I have the R4's and I would imagine if you are going to be moving snow on a regular basis you may want to reconsider the turf's and go with something more agressive. Just my .02 cents worth /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower #13  
Also in NH, I have used a 1973 JD 110 with a 38" snowblower for my 150' driveway since 1978. I think a snow blower does a cleaner job because the FEL has to have a place to push to. In my case I have trees along the driveway & the snowblower puts the snow between them. I'll admit that when the banks at the road end get too tall to blow over my Case 580 comes in handy. This does not mean you shouldn't have the FEL. If I had only one it would be the FEL.
Get chains for the turf tires. Ag tires aren't any better on icy ground than turfs, & chains always work. Another low cost traction idea is to stud the tires with specialty sheet metal screws. Most 4-wheeler /ATV catalogs carry them.

/ 2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower #14  
Well, let me tell you a lil story. Once I had a blade for the front of the 2210. I found myself building large snow piles along side of the drive way (500ft long paved). I then decided on a 47 dual stage snow blower. Worked like a champ, cleared the drive and did everything I wanted it to do....except I froze my face off. Snow blowing back at me. Then I said...self, don't freeze get a cab. Well then I went and bought the cab this last winter. We had picked up 60 inches of snow by mid December and I didn't think my frozen mustashe or eyebrows could take any more. Not to mention the frozen pants. The wife (oops, the boss) felt sorry for me, but I really think she got tired of me putting my cold hands on her when I got back in. She said can't you get a cab for that thing to stay warm???? I couldn't slam the door fast enough on the way out to the dealer. Ordered it before she had time to think about what she just said. So it finally came in and I had it installed. Don't you know it didn't hardly snow 8 inches after getting the dang thing installed! However, I was toasty and warm and without a coat for what little use I got out of it this year. But I based my decision on total number of years I will use it rather than the one time cost. If you have the cash, get them and you won't be sorry. If not, get the 54 inch front blade witht he power and kit. The lake effect snow here is a bit much for a blade.

/ 2305 Advice Needed - Loader vs. Snow Thrower #15  
One other thing I forgot to mention. I have yet to need chains. In 2 years of winter and deep snowfall, haven't had a problem getting through. I even have a pretty good size climb near the house.