2305 John Deere hydraulics

/ 2305 John Deere hydraulics
Have you checked hydraulic fluid level? Fluid condition, is it milky in color? Does this machine have a screen for the fluid? Just some initial things to go over.
Level is good just changed fluid and filter last summer. Good color

/ 2305 John Deere hydraulics #12  
Is the pump and or loader valve some place that is accessible? If yes does either one warm up quickly when trying to raise loader? A failing pump will typically get warm much quicker than rest of the system.

Is the pump and or loader valve some place that is accessible? If yes does either one warm up quickly when trying to raise loader? A failing pump will typically get warm much quicker than rest of the system.
I believe the pump is inside the rear end and the valve is under the sheet metal

/ 2305 John Deere hydraulics #15  
Is there a valve that controls the lift of the mower, like the 3 point hitch has?

/ 2305 John Deere hydraulics #16  
I own a newer 2025r. Mine has both a hydraulic oil filter and a sump screen. Does yours have a similar setup? Did you clean the sump screen if you have one? They can get pretty gummed up. I’d still pull the screen and see what’s there. You will probably end up having to drain the fluid but you can reuse it if it’s clean.

Last edited:
   / 2305 John Deere hydraulics #17  
Level is good just changed fluid and filter last summer. Good color
Did you clean out the pickup filter also along with the spin on filter?

2305s have the loader/3pt hydraulics pump integrated into the hydrostat as a second piston pump riding on a fixed eccentric just below the variable piston pump coming off of the engine drive shaft.
They also have a linkage from the three-point that operates the belly mower lift so there's not separate hydraulics for the belly mower

Last edited:
I own a newer 2025r. Mine has both a hydraulic oil filter and a sump screen. Does yours have a similar setup? Did you clean the sump screen if you have one? They can get pretty gummed up. I’d still pull the screen and see what’s there. You will probably end up having to drain the fluid but you can reuse it if it’s clean.
I did not pull the screen. Didn’t know about it till after I drained and refilled the hydraulic oil. I will pull that. If nothing else to check for metal on the magnet

/ 2305 John Deere hydraulics #20  
I did not pull the screen. Didn’t know about it till after I drained and refilled the hydraulic oil. I will pull that. If nothing else to check for metal on the magnet
Yes. I don't think the screen itself is the problem. But yes, you will get to check for mechanical failure within the transaxle. I'm still optimistic that this is a valve issue. But I just can't quite explain how. Hoping for a easy/cheap fix.