2310 backhoe placement

/ 2310 backhoe placement #1  

henrysMFGC2310TBL

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD D140
I went to put the backhoe on yesterday for the first time since I took it off early spring, I have never put it on. I could not get the lower arms close enough to the tail to get the backhoe into position as the hoe frame pushed against the arms and stopped it from inserting the pins. Would someone post pic's of the stored position of the lower arms so I can see what I am doing wrong, the book shows them up tight. Thanks, Henry.

/ 2310 backhoe placement #2  
"I could not get the lower arms close enough to the tail...."

What is it you mean here? By "lower arms" do you mean the 3-point hitch arms? If so, they have to be up and in their stored position before mounting the backhoe.

After they're raised, you need to close the lowering-speed knob all the way to lock them in the up position. After that, you can reconfigure the hydraulic hoses for backhoe operation.

Attachments

• rear w: Jason.JPG
    rear w: Jason.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 3PH stored.JPG
    3PH stored.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 175
   / 2310 backhoe placement
Thanks irvingj for the description and pictures, that is what I needed. I will try and play with it next week. I know what I am asking but it does not always translate to what I say, Henry.

/ 2310 backhoe placement #4  
No problem. We all had to start learning a new language here!

Here's a pic of the drop-speed knob; it sits behind your right leg, and needs to be closed (just like a faucet) in order to keep the 3PH arms from gradually dropping on their own. (Apologies if you already knew all about it!)

Attachments

• 3pt hitch knob.JPG
    3pt hitch knob.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 154
   / 2310 backhoe placement
Thanks for the info, I went out and found I did not have the 3pt hitch arms all the way up, so once I raised the hydraulics everything fitted. I learned that you must put something under the backhoe to keep it elevated while it is off the tractor otherwise the hydraulics seep and the main body rests on the ground and it is a pain to get it up to the level of the tractor to mount it onto the tractor.

/ 2310 backhoe placement #6  
Yep.

I've refined the procedure a bit, but you get the idea.

I've also seen them placed flat on the ground, with the stabilizers fully retracted, to keep the cylinders from the weather... I'm going to check that out next.

Attachments

• BH parked.JPG
    BH parked.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 172
   / 2310 backhoe placement #7  
Yep.

I've refined the procedure a bit, but you get the idea.

I've also seen them placed flat on the ground, with the stabilizers fully retracted, to keep the cylinders from the weather... I'm going to check that out next.

I've been taking my 3pt arms off b/c I only use the 3pt a few times a year, it only takes a few minutes, and I've been a creature of habit (I did it that way the first time and have continued ever since), but now that you've posted the picture of how neatly you keep them stowed, I think I'll just leave them on, thanks.

As for stowing the backhoe, I have an old piece of RR-tie (approx. 2.5 ft) that I rest the bottom on and have the the outriggers up. The issue I noticed you might have is it looks a little dangerous just resting on that center point (if you have kids climbing on it, playing at the controls, could the outriggers move? maybe or maybe not). I'd put the two wooden blocks side by side and lower the backhoe so the base rests on them.

Last edited:
   / 2310 backhoe placement #8  
As I mentioned, I've refined the process a bit-- I had a pile of wood on my little slab last summer/fall, so the backhoe rested on the ground. Now, it's on the slab... which wasn't quite wide enough, so I added a few concrete blocks....
It's very stable; I can hardly move it when I really yank on it. The outriggers seem to hold it in position quite well. (I know you saw a kid's snadbox in the other pic, but trust me- the one kid that lives here doesn't play around the parked backhoe.)

I'd still like to try setting it right on the ground with the outriggers fully retracted- that's the way I saw a dealer do it. He said it was no problem to get close, hook up the hoses, and raise the whole unit up so it could then be attached to the tractor. Anyone tried this?

Since those other photos were taken, I've just removed the 3PH altogether, as I have nothing to attach to it (yet:D) and I discovered --the hard way-- that the 3PH arms hanging down dig a nice furrow into the ground at the base of some of the slopes I mow (when transitioning from slope to level ground).

Attachments

• DSC02955.JPG
    DSC02955.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC02956.JPG
    DSC02956.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 121
   / 2310 backhoe placement #9  
I'd still like to try setting it right on the ground with the outriggers fully retracted- that's the way I saw a dealer do it. He said it was no problem to get close, hook up the hoses, and raise the whole unit up so it could then be attached to the tractor. Anyone tried this?

I accidently set it on the ground (first time I removed it), but there was enough slack in the hose that this could be done regularly. If I was doing this, I'd set it on a piece of pressure-treated 2x6 or 2x8 or maybe a concrete stepping stone to keep the moisture/mud/weeds off the bottom of the backhoe.