2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!!

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #151  
thanks for the tip....I'll go looking for the pointed grease gun end this week....is it something I can probably pick up local at lowes or tsc ?...

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #152  
Deere brought you initially an outrageous quote to fix. No way it would cost them $4,000. Shame on Deere. Smartest gutsy move you made was to not bite on their offer where you would pay $1900 or more. If it actually cost them $1500 to fix the tractor I'd be very surprised. They almost got you.
They dragged it out to make it look good. 2 day fix. If it would have really cost them $4,000 they would have never done it for you for free.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #154  
When your new u-joints come in let us know if they have grease fittings

I ended up not taking the new u-joints as I purchased a new 2520 instead. However, the new joints did have grease zerks but then again so did my old ones.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #155  
Having recently acquired a JD 2305 with loader and backhoe for when the wife wants something planted or moved in the yard. (Getting to old for the shovel routine) I have been following this thread with interest. So on April 26th, 2011 having some free time I called the Service Department of the Dealer where the unit was purchased. I inquired if any grease zerks were on the main engine to transmisson drive shaft. Response was never seen any "Lubed" at factory. I next raised the unit in the air to allow access to the bottom. An inspection of the drive line revealed grease zerks. I used a Workforce Pro three inch neddle point coupler from the tool box to inject grease into the dry joints. I purchased the needle point coupler some time ago from Tractor Supply to grease another hard to reach grease zerk. It was a bear and time consuming task getting grease to the u-joints. A five inch neddle point coupler such as the Alemite B6783 described by another poster would probably have made the job easier. I then called the Service Department back and informed them they maybe should start checking equipment closer before telling someone this and that feature did not exist. I think Bill1369 did all of us who own one of these small units a great favor by starting this thread and sharing his experience. Many a person would not have been as candid as he has.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #156  
Agree.....Thanx Bill1369......:thumbsup:

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #157  
Having recently acquired a JD 2305 with loader and backhoe for when the wife wants something planted or moved in the yard. (Getting to old for the shovel routine) I have been following this thread with interest. So on April 26th, 2011 having some free time I called the Service Department of the Dealer where the unit was purchased. I inquired if any grease zerks were on the main engine to transmisson drive shaft. Response was never seen any "Lubed" at factory. I next raised the unit in the air to allow access to the bottom. An inspection of the drive line revealed grease zerks. I used a Workforce Pro three inch neddle point coupler from the tool box to inject grease into the dry joints. I purchased the needle point coupler some time ago from Tractor Supply to grease another hard to reach grease zerk. It was a bear and time consuming task getting grease to the u-joints. A five inch neddle point coupler such as the Alemite B6783 described by another poster would probably have made the job easier. I then called the Service Department back and informed them they maybe should start checking equipment closer before telling someone this and that feature did not exist. I think Bill1369 did all of us who own one of these small units a great favor by starting this thread and sharing his experience. Many a person would not have been as candid as he has.

So what was their responce after telling them about the zerks?

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #158  
I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count. I am slowly coming to the opinion Tractor Dealers are not the same they were 15-20 years ago. I don't have an answer to what caused the big decline. It appears to me the sale is all that they are after today, service and follow up are lacking. Years ago, purchase a tractor and a couple of days later someone from the dealership would stop by to see if you had any problems or questions. Today no phone call, no letter saying thanks for the purchase, nothing. Buying a tractor today is like buying a pair of shoes, out the door and don't come back until you need another pair.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #159  
I will give you three guesses and the first two don't count. I am slowly coming to the opinion Tractor Dealers are not the same they were 15-20 years ago. I don't have an answer to what caused the big decline. It appears to me the sale is all that they are after today, service and follow up are lacking. Years ago, purchase a tractor and a couple of days later someone from the dealership would stop by to see if you had any problems or questions. Today no phone call, no letter saying thanks for the purchase, nothing. Buying a tractor today is like buying a pair of shoes, out the door and don't come back until you need another pair.

Ok, 1) They said that Deere never let them know about these zerks. 2) They knew about them, but the service manager you spoke to was an idiot. 3) Don't blame us weze don'ts builds um, weze just fix um. 4) The service manager has been out sick, you must have spoken to his 5 yr old kid. 5) And the last and most likely answer was "Next time buy a Kubota". :D

But seriously, if they just passed the blame onto Deere, then someone should be on the phone with them.

/ 2320 hydro drive shaft just snapped off !!! #160  
Like Gator6x4, when buying oil and filters at a JD dealer in Concord, NH for a friends complete engine/trans and filter change on his JD2320 (spent couple hundred bucks) ......the dealers parts guy and service guy knew nothing of the drive shaft greasing......they also told me the units were "Lubed at Factory"....:confused2:

They didn't know I'd already seen the grease zerks on the main engine/trans drive shaft......I ended up giving them a lesson on something they should have been up on.....bottom line is I felt as though it fell on deaf ears as they were not interested.......I'd be worried if my tractor was at their place for lubing....oh yea, this tractor was serviced there since it was new and I was the first to grease the drive shaft....

Too busy to sell more parts/tractors.......Yes/No/Maybe..??