2320 ignition switch problem

/ 2320 ignition switch problem #1  

ScottK

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2320 w/200cx loader w/53" bucket
I'm having a problem with the ignition switch on my JD 2320 (about 5 years old ~200 hours). I can turn it to the first position to get lights and the glow plug hot, but turning to the next position to start the thing seems to have some kind of contact problem. I have to jiggle/wiggle/adjust the key position just right to get it to fire up (and not all the way to the right as it used to work). Once running there's no issue.

So what do I do about it?

/ 2320 ignition switch problem #2  
First, I would pull the switch out and try to make sure all the wires are connected solidly..

You may have to pull part of the dash to get at the switch - but thats an easy job..

If that all looks good, I think replacing the switch next

good luck

brian

/ 2320 ignition switch problem
I've never taken the dash apart. Is it the bolts on the bottom of each side of the lower cowl? I have no idea otherwise.

/ 2320 ignition switch problem #4  
Scott

That happened to me a few years ago. When you reassemble make sure there is no side stress on the wires. The switch can twist in its mounting hole and put enough side strain on the wires that it causes intermittent faults. You only have to remove the bottom bolts from the one side. Then kind of wiggle things around and see if there are any other fasteners to remove. If you don't want to remove the entire cowl, after the bolts are off there is enough flexibility in the plastic that you will have enough (barely) room to work. You probably already realized this but don't forget to disconnect the battery first.

Ed

Here are instructions for installing a water temp gauge - that include dash removal instructions

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=145772

Brian

Awesome - thanks. I'll reply when I get that sucker open - probably this weekend. Isn't it sad that so much disassemby is required to get in there? A simple access panel is all that's needed. I was tempted to just cut a hole in it with an angle grinder.

I took it all apart and determined that the ignition switch is simply going bad. No wiring issues at all. I held it vertically and filled it with PB50 (anti-corrosion/lubricant) several times for good measure. It works a little better, but I'm sure it's just temporary. So I better order a new switch.

I need part number AM879479 according to the diagrams in JD Parts. Looks like I can get it on eBay and all kinds of places without traipsing to a far away dealer (since mine left town). Must be a common problem.

Scott

Last edited:
I got a factory replacement in only two days via ebay (PA to WA). Sealed JD box and Yanmar labels. Anyone want a temperamental used one for $20?