2320 Leaking

/ 2320 Leaking #1  

incubus2432

Tractor
JD 2320
A few weeks ago I spotted a small (2") spot under where my tractor was parked. I wasn't overly concerned and figured I'd just look into it next service which is due sometime next month. Well after mowing the grass a few days ago and parking the tractor I found a spot considerably larger this morning. The whole underside just above the front driveshaft (rear side of shaft) was soaked. I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner and wiped it dry. After running it up to temperature it appears as though fluid is seeping from behind several bolt heads......I didn't have much time to further investigate today but here is a pic of the area.

Please excuse my lack of correct terminology for the parts. I am well versed mechanically for cars/trucks but this is my first tractor. It is well out of warranty and I'd rather fix it myself than pay inflated dealer prices.

So here it goes....the bolt heads in question are on the finned case thingimibob just above the front driveshaft. Bolts in question are at about the 7 and 9 o'clock position on the case itself. The oil appears to be the "hy-gard" from the hydrostatic drive. What the heck is the case and how big of a nightmare will it be to remove it and reinstall with a new gasket? I guess it's time to order up the service manual. DRATS!

AD0AAE19-B5DE-4999-AB47-6CE3CB5B048D-1404-000001E550811707_zps328126de.jpg

Last edited:
   / 2320 Leaking #2  
Great picture! Boy I have no idea how hard a job that would be but after looking at the underside of my tractor it looks like quite an undertaking. With fluid leaking out of the bolt hole but not from the seam between the two parts it almost sounds like the gasket has not totally failed. Any thoughts on draining the fluid (since you are close to a service interval anyway) taking those two bolts out and putting a gasket behind them and then reinstall and re-torque? It would only be a temporary fix but might get you through the summer so you could tackle this in the fall before snow hits.

/ 2320 Leaking
That is something I've considered and may be what I do. I'd rather just get it over with though. If it takes a few days that's fine but I don't want to get into something I can't deal with without special tools or something else I'm not seeing.

Thanks btw!

/ 2320 Leaking #4  
I have the Orange 2320 (which obviously doesn't apply), but based on my experience with trucks, cars and assorted other equipment, I have to agree with EdC that leaking around the bolt heads does not necessarily imply total gasket failure. Re-torquing the bolts with either gasket material or rubber washers behind them may provide a significant help in continued use of your tractor.

Good luck,
Thomas

/ 2320 Leaking #5  
the finned "thingy" is the hydro unit. it is MAJOR surgery to take it off. I would pull the bolts one at a time and put some thread sealant on them. hopefully it is just fluid working its way thru the threads of the bolts.

/ 2320 Leaking #6  
Don't use rubber washers. The will not torque right. If you are going to do something like that, use copper washers.

/ 2320 Leaking #7  
That's the hydrostatic motor pump cover...try retorquing it. There is a gasket behind it and it would take some major disassembly to replace. My shop manual doesn't give any specific torque values but its probably around 20ft lbs on those bolts

/ 2320 Leaking
I spoke with my service department on the phone and his guess per my description is that this is about $800-900 in labor. Ugh. I'm gonna give the copper washers a shot and order up the service manual for when I have some time to be without the tractor for a week or so. Thanks for the responses.

/ 2320 Leaking #9  
Good luck! When you do break it apart sure would be nice to see pictures. :dance1:

/ 2320 Leaking #10  
I have the same 'issue'... But I am just keeping an eye on it because it seems you have to split the tractor to get to it..

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/227989-2320-how-do-i-stop.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/248695-2320-hydraulic-leak.html

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/227068-2320-floorboard-removal.html

I talked with the dealer about it and asked if i just made sure the hydraulic fluid stays full would it hurt anything. The service manager didnt see any cause for alarm with it..

Brian