245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start?

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #1  

Impress

Tractor
245 Massey Ferguson
My 245 Massey Ferguson tractor suddenly has no brakes. It only had one "ify" brake all these years and now no brakes zero nada none nif. I will be repairing these brakes.
20210329_184239.jpg
20210329_184049.jpg
Where do I start?

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #2  
I would initially try adjusting the brakes up and checking the linkage to see if you can recover any sign of life before stripping the drums.

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start?
Martin Roper I will do that first. Thank you

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #4  
I’m following this. ^^^. I have it’s older brother, a 135, with only one brake and it’s iffy. More like all or none. :eek:

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start?
Martin Roper I will do that first. Thank you I got my Massey Ferguson manual out it says block up back wheels off the ground. Remove brake adjusting cover. Adjust star wheels on brake shoes with a screw driver until 1 inch away from brake drum. Latch both brake pedals together check for even brake application. Loosen brake adjuster on (tight) brake side until they apply evenly together. I'll try that tomorrow.

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #6  
Martin Roper I will do that first. Thank you I got my Massey Ferguson manual out it says block up back wheels off the ground. Remove brake adjusting cover. Adjust star wheels on brake shoes with a screw driver until 1 inch away from brake drum. Latch both brake pedals together check for even brake application. Loosen brake adjuster on (tight) brake side until they apply evenly together. I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes, they have dry drum brakes. The shoes may have oil on them if your axles leak. Shoes may be glazed too.

The drums are a pain to remove unless someone has already removed the screws that hold them to the hub.

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #7  
If adjusting the brakes does not work, then you will need new shoes. 830480M93 is the part number for the shoes. The outer axle seal is 195677M1. The inner seal is 195678M2.

I did adjust the brakes as yall directed with a screwdriver in the bake adjustment opening on the rear of the axil. That did work... for a little while and must be repeated every couple of months. I probably need the new brake shoes and outer axle seal and inner seal as mentioned above.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

/ 245 Massey Ferguson suddenly has no brakes. I will be repairing these brakes. Where do I start? #9  
I did adjust the brakes as yall directed with a screwdriver in the bake adjustment opening on the rear of the axil. That did work... for a little while and must be repeated every couple of months. I probably need the new brake shoes and outer axle seal and inner seal as mentioned above.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Glad you got some brakes. If they work good they can lock up the wheels and skid on pavement.