25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers?

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #11  
concrete pier and base plate....however that pier will need to be tied into an oversized concrete footing pad below ground on suitable capacity bearing soil.......even though you will not be supporting much downward roof load these posts will be subjected to tremendous wind load on the end wall and will need to be adequately braced and the foundation will need to be designed to prevent overturning........you need to consult with a structural engineer for sizes and details......Jack

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers?
I’ve contacted a hand full of structural engineers and can’t seem to get a call back.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #13  
Re: 25 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers?

I致e contacted a hand full of structural engineers and can稚 seem to get a call back.

It's simple, in concrete you will get rust and rot in the steel water will always get between the steel and the cement. Above on top allows the steel to dry after ant wet evnt.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #14  

You only need the metal posts in the openings where you would drive equipment through. The rest of the framing could be wooden posts set on top of the footer. As for the metal posts, I'd say 6x6x1/4 or maybe 3/8. What does you contractor advise? Just make sure your openings are wide enough.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #15  
Either way will work, how are the sidewalls on your coverall anchored? bearing wall or posts/piers?
The end wall columns are not load bearing per say, they will have side loading from the wind loads, the coverall structure is the top wind load support,
the pier or footer is the lower wind load and end wall weight support only.
In regards to the wind loading be sure to keep your truss cables properly tensioned, those diagonal cables are all that keep your building square and secure.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers?
Either way will work, how are the sidewalls on your coverall anchored? bearing wall or posts/piers?
The end wall columns are not load bearing per say, they will have side loading from the wind loads, the coverall structure is the top wind load support,
the pier or footer is the lower wind load and end wall weight support only.
In regards to the wind loading be sure to keep your truss cables properly tensioned, those diagonal cables are all that keep your building square and secure.

Exactly. My biggest concern is wind load.. we live in a very windy area. The rest of the building trusses sit on 3’ diameter piers 6ft or 8’ deep (can’t remember exactly). Also the end where the wall will be was built up about 6-7’ so there is a slope up into the building and I’m concerned about wind upheaval with our shifty soil (even though the ground that the wall will be on is pretty packed from 7 years of heavy tractor, vehicle and horse traffic.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #17  
One of my favorite ways to deal with wind and tall walls is to build a porch across the wall. The roof of the porch braces the wall.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #18  

One of my favorite ways to deal with wind and tall walls is to build a porch across the wall. The roof of the porch braces the wall.

That would be one way to reduce the wind loading to the coverall, a single slope roof similar to a porch roof with 3 sides closed in, if the upper roof line is half or 2/3's the building height the wall next to the coverall can continue to the top, think of it as an large h.

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #19  
I’ve contacted a hand full of structural engineers and can’t seem to get a call back.

yeh that can be a bit of a pain......my advice is to stay away from the larger firms as you will be small potatoes to them and get ignored....try to find a sole practitioner.....maybe get names from local contractors, lumber yards or architects......then you can start the call by saying I got your name from so and so......thats always better then being a cold call and you're more likely to get a response......you could also try the company you got the roof trusses from........Jack

/ 25’ 4x4 Metal Post in concrete or base plate on concrete piers? #20  

......my advice is to stay away from the larger firms as you will be small potatoes to them
and get ignored....try to find a sole practitioner.....

That's good advice.

I do not know how it works in TX, but civil engineers in the US are licensed by state. Any CE who has passed the
PE exam and state certification can usually practice soils, grading, or structural engineering within your state. There
is a higher level of licensing (Structural Engineer, S.E.) as in my state, for large projects like bridges or skyscrapers.

You want to avoid S.E.s ($$$$), and stick with your run-of-the-mill licensed C.E.s, who are sole proprietors and can
give you a fixed bid. Paying hourly may cost you a lot more.

Wind loads are not always easy to design for, and often generate more stresses than in earthquake zones.