25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies

/ 25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies #11  
You might also check the air filter. My Simplicity Legacy has a 25hp Kohler. I always blew out the filter with compressed air, and cleaned the prefilter. This summer it started not pulling at all. Even thought the paper filter was clean, it was clogged enough to not let enough air pass. You can check this by seeing if it runs better if you slightly lift off the metal saucer that hold the filter down.

/ 25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies #12  
I would think if it was not getting enough air through the filter, choking it would make it worse, not better. By choking it, he is richening the mixture, adding more fuel and less air. If it is still starving of fuel after choking it, it probably isn't getting enough fuel, so check the fuel filter first to see if it is plugged. Fuel filters are a couple bucks and should be changed occasionally, anyway, so it will not be a waste of money if that turns out to not be the problem. The fuel filter is probably the easiest thing in the fuel system to check or change, besides looking in the tank to see if it is empty.

/ 25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies #14  
If it runs when the choke is out, one other option could be loose bolts holding the carb on. It could be drawing air around the gasket and causing the engine to run too lean, pulling out the choke adjusts the mixture by limiting the air going through the carb to make up for the gasket leak.

/ 25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies #15  
ToadHill said:
If it runs when the choke is out, one other option could be loose bolts holding the carb on. It could be drawing air around the gasket and causing the engine to run too lean, pulling out the choke adjusts the mixture by limiting the air going through the carb to make up for the gasket leak.

Very good suggestion.

/ 25 hp Kolher, sputters and dies
Thanks for the suggestions. I did put Stabil in the last can of gas that I bought, but the tank prior to that, which had sat the longest, didn't have any treatment. I bought the fuel filter but haven't been forced to mess with it lately as it's warmed up and snow is melting off. I've got an air filter and oil filter on the way, as it's nearly due for a 100hr service anyway. Hopefully I'll have time to get to it this weekend since I'm changing oil in the car too.