2520 62d mower lift arms drag

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #62  
If you're able to get them pretty much exactly the same,I don't see why not.:)

Greg

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #63  
If you're able to get them pretty much exactly the same,I don't see why not.:)

Greg

You think they will work longer, the way they are?? The arms will probably hang down a little I guess....????:confused:

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #64  
Tom,yeah I guess you could use them longer,but you're going to end up playing around with the height to try and get the holes to line up.

Greg

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #65  
Tom,yeah I guess you could use them longer,but you're going to end up playing around with the height to try and get the holes to line up.

Greg

Yeah I see what you are saying, I will have to try and get an actual measurement on them. It looks like the holes in mine are 1/2" for the top frame and bottom ears. I will try to measure with my calipers this weekend so we all know what size hole for sure...

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #66  
Hey Tom,saw the other thread about your 4WD deal. That sucks,having to be without it for that long,but it'll be GTG when you get it back.:thumbsup:

Anyway,as for the lockup arms,my top holes were definitely 1/2",but the bottom were slightly under,I didn't measure before I drilled them out,but more like 7/16". If your bottom brackets are like mine,which I would think they (2520s) all are,you'll have to take them off and drill them out to 1/2".

That is,if you want to use what you found at work. But,if you custom make them to fit,you could keep the lower holes what they are and make the bars accordingly. Your decision.:)

Greg

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #67  
On the bottom I used a 7/16 inch pin and it fits perfect. I would guess that's what the factory kit uses. Some thoughts on the problems you guys described getting the length just right: I'm sure that's why the JD kit has adjustable length. Every tractor will be different and may change over time. That's why my first design used turnbuckles. The length doesn't have to be off much before the arms hang down quite a bit. I was also worried about wear. As the two surfaces on the lift arms and the lower brackets wear on each other the 3 point won't lift the mechanism up as high as it used to and a fixed length device will no longer install easily. On my old tractor this did happen and I could tell that I had to lengthen the turnbuckles a bit more when I install them versus when I first started using them. I ended up using a procedure in which I got the turnbuckle tight enough that the lower bracket was lifted up off the 3 point draft arms. I had to do this in order to keep the mechanism up tight against the bottom of the tractor. I suppose the other thing I could do is shorten the adjustable rear draft links on the mechanical lift mechanism under the tractor. That would also compensate for the wear I'm describing but then you'd have to relevel the deck. I still like what you guys have done. I will eventually do it the same way myself and find a way to deal with changes over time.

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #68  
As the two surfaces on the lift arms and the lower brackets wear on each other the 3 point won't lift the mechanism up as high as it used to and a fixed length device will no longer install easily

I thought of that too, maybe I'm wrong,but I don't think they will wear enough to make that much of a difference. I'll keep them greased up,and if they would become a problem,I figured I'd just weld up the bracket surface flat again.:)

Greg

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #69  
glc24, yep, that approach should work well. I'm going build a setup with a fixed length link for my new 2520 that I just got the other day. I'm thinking maybe alumimun though just so it won't rust. I noticed you have have your steel link painted black. Any special painting procedure you recommend? I have had good luck just using Rustoleum paint that I apply to the steel after heating it up. This seems to last much better than any other spray method or even powder coating. I've painted entire trailers this way and the paint job lasted longer than anything else I've ever owned.

/ 2520 62d mower lift arms drag #70  
Any special painting procedure you recommend?

bz1,not really. I just used some Rustoleum spray paint on them.:)

I have had good luck just using Rustoleum paint that I apply to the steel after heating it up.

Works great! After I brushed my snow plow,I set it out in the hot sun all afternoon.
It didn't even look brush painted after it dried.:thumbsup:

Greg