2520 and 72" RFM?

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #1  

Birdmayon

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2380
I just got a new 2520 a few weeks ago. Picked out a used finish mower at my local dealer, paid for it, and on my way home, looking at the receipt, realized it was a 6 ft vs. the 5 ft mower I thought I'd been looking at. No idea how I made that mistake. Anyway, I got the Frontier GM1072E. What concerns me is when I look in Deere's implement brochure, it doesn't list the 2520 for this model mower. It indicates a minimum of 22 PTO HP for this mower (2520 is rated at 20.5). Strangely, all of the other 72" models show a lower required PTO HP rating and do list the 2520 as compatable. I believe the GM1072E is similar or the same as a Befco and Rotomec, and the websites for those two list 16-30 PTO horsepower. All specs listed are identical to the Frontier model. Why would Deere list different requirements from what the manufacturer recommends? Also, what is the difference between this 72" rfm and the other Frontier 72 inchers that would require a significan jump in required HP?

So, in short, am I safe running this mower or am I pushing it? Thanks!

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #2  
One member of the forum "Runner" has considerable experience with a 72" RFM on a 2520. You might want to do a search on his posts, or drop him a PM.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM?
Thanks Chuck, lol, I already read all of his posts. Here's part of the problem, he's running the heavier duty 1072R mower, which according to deere, needs min. 20 HP. The economy model (1072E) that I got lists 22 HP min. Strange huh?

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #4  
That is strange....... sorry I can't be of more help.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #5  
I've been running a GM1060E behind a 2305 (18pto) on a very rough pasture for two years. It is a Befco. The only time is bogs down is when I go over thick bunch grass. As to the ratings, I've heard it hinted here that JD is more conservative on specs from a warranty stand point. I have beaten the heck out of my mower deck, and I have the repair receipts to prove it. I have a knack for bending my wheel holders on tree roots. Power has not been the issue. If you are mowing "real lawn" and keeping it fairly tame I would think that your 2520 would do just fine. Although the 2305 does have a better power to weight ratio than the two bigger ones and maybe that makes my experience irrelevant. The bigger the deck the less laps that you have to make.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #6  
If it's any help, I've never felt that power was a problem at all. The only problem I've had was getting enough traction to haul the mower around on my hills. If my property was flat, or even just 10 degree or less slopes, it would work fine.

Overall, I love the mower, just wish I could use it more effectively.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM?
Thanks for your input Fort.

Just got off the phone with my dealer, he thinks I'll be fine and wasn't quite sure why Deere listed 22 HP for that mower. My lawn is almost completely flat so that should help.

Also, they wanted like $250 to make this thing Imatch compatable, but after reading about the Landpride floating toplink kit I decided to give that a try. I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine, and the kit is only $30.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM?
Runner said:
If it's any help, I've never felt that power was a problem at all. The only problem I've had was getting enough traction to haul the mower around on my hills. If my property was flat, or even just 10 degree or less slopes, it would work fine.

Overall, I love the mower, just wish I could use it more effectively.

Runner, thanks for the input. I saw your comments on the traction issue. Hopefully it won't be an issue for me, I've got loaded tires, this mower is about 200 lb less than yours, and my lawn is flat.

Are you going to keep using your deck or trade it in on something else?

/ 2520 and 72" RFM? #9  
Loaded tires + less slope + less mower weight - you should be fine. I just got a 62D MMM that I'm going to be trying out this spring. Haven't had it on the tractor yet, but my thought is it will be more maneuverable in the tight places and the weight of the mower will give better traction on the hills.

I really like the RFM and hate to give up the width and ability to back under trees, etc. For now at least, I'm planning on keeping them both.

/ 2520 and 72" RFM?
Good deal...those drive over decks are nice, I'd consider one of those myself but I don't have the cash for something like that right now. Hope it works out for you!