2520 moving the trailer

/ 2520 moving the trailer #11  
I had the same plan for moving my 25' trailer with my 2305. The tractor handled it just fine, but I didn't. My driveway has some slope and I was (as intended) trying to maneuver in some fairly tight quarters. What surprised me was how much the lack of visibility was unnerving. I'm pretty good at putting the trailer wherever I want it to go with the truck (forward and backwards). Apparently using the mirrors plays a big part in my confidence. Just pulling it forward out of the shed made me feel blind. I was surprised because I move my large flat bed trailer with the tractor all the time without hesitation. I ended up hitching up the truck to put the trailer away.

I suppose I could mount some huge mirrors on the front of the tractor and try it again. Glad you're having fun!

/ 2520 moving the trailer
There's just over 800 lbs tongue weight on the trailer. To be honest, I couldn't ask the better half to snap the photo til after I knew it worked. I was afraid I might end up with the tongue on the dirt and the front wheels of the tractor pointed skyward. Another potential family memory for the album moment.

/ 2520 moving the trailer #13  
FortClatsop,

I know the feeling about "driving blind" when maneuvering a trailer in tight quarters. In my previous home, I pulled an 18 foot ski boat in and out of my garage with my JD185 lawn tractor. The space was so tight, I couldn't do it with my truck.

I would actually put the hydro lever in reverse and let the trailer creep backwards, then, get off and walk to the back of the trailer to see exactly where it was going. It moved so slowly that I had time to walk back to the tractor and make steereing corrections to get it exactly where I wanted it.

Don't think I'll be trying that trick with the 2520....

Runner

/ 2520 moving the trailer #14  
I had the opportunity to hook up my JD 3320 to my 30' Terry Travel Trailer with 12' tipout. Weights in around 9000lbs. Surprisingly it handled extremely well and pulled the trailer right up the slight grade in front of the house and backed it down the driveway. I have to admit I had a rope tied to the break-away brakes to pull if it got away from me.

RunsLikeADeere Photo Gallery - John Deere/John Deere 3320 pulling 30' Terry Travel Trailer Camper

RunsLikeADeere Photo Gallery - John Deere/John Deere 3320 pulling 30' Terry Travel Trailer Camper

Click on the pictures for full size.

/ 2520 moving the trailer #15  
Awesome. They look good together.. :)

/ 2520 moving the trailer #16  
gunmaker said:
I was surprised when I set the parking brake and got off, parked on a slight slope, that the weight of the trailer was able to pull through the parking brake. It held fine when physically applying the brakes, but tended to creep when the parking brake was left to hold the load. I'll have to see if there is some adjustment to the parking brake possible.
For info, the trailer is 8000 lbs. and 31 ft. long.
I've seen a few others ask the same question...here's the answer.

Do you press the brake pedal when you apply the emergency brake? I bet that will help.

D.

/ 2520 moving the trailer #17  
My old 4100 has the same issue with parking brake. Its pretty much worthless except on flat ground where you don;t need it much anyway. So as an additional measure, I generally leave the hydro in gear when I park.

I much prefer to connect a trailer to the fixed drawbar than the 3-point arms. That way it cant bounce up on you and the leverage is less for tipping the tractor backwards.

Also, be sure and connect the safety chais to something. I had the coupler on my boatr trailer come loose on me backing it down the driveway and had happened to hook the safety chains on the 3-point arm just to keep them from dragging on the ground. I was really happy I did!

Finally, remember that if your tractor weighs 2000 lbs and the trailer weighs 9000 lbs, on any kind of a slope with less than perfect traction (like wet grass or loose dirt) , the trailer is going to overhwelm the traction of the tractor and you are going to get pushed down the hill brakes or no brakes. I would stick to very level areas and stay well away from any ditches or hills.

- Rick

/ 2520 moving the trailer
Common sense helps improve safety!

/ 2520 moving the trailer #19  
Gunmaker, I see from some of your posted pictures that you have turf tires on your 2520.
I have also have 2520. I want to change the wheels and tires to the turfs. Would you be willing to look at your wheels and find the part numbers stamped into them and post your findings here or email me at markaspinwall@yahoo.com?

Thanks,

Mark

/ 2520 moving the trailer #20  
Gunmaker, I see from some of your posted pictures that you have turf tires on your 2520.
I have also have 2520. I want to change the wheels and tires to the turfs. Would you be willing to look at your wheels and find the part numbers stamped into them and post your findings here or email me at markaspinwall@yahoo.com?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, those are R4 tires on GM's 2520.