2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting #1  

JSharp

Gold Member
Tractor
IH 404, Cub GT 2554
This is the 4th spring for my 2554 and like every other year the fuel pump lost prime after sitting 4 months over the winter. Once again I had to prime the engine to get it to run and start pulling fuel from the tank.

It's not a big deal really, I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem...

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting #2  
Never had that happen. I try to start mine once or twice a month during the winter. It takes a few tries but once it gets going I let it run for 10-15 minutes.

Michael

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting
If it sits a month it's OK. 4 months is not OK.

I should probably start it and use it for something in the winter but it usually ends up buried in the back of the shed.

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting #4  
Yeah I know what ya mean. This past winter I didn't start it at all because my battery went bad and all the snow we had I couldn't get into my shed anyway.
But it started right up when I put a new battery in.
Do you empty the fuel tank when the season is over? I usually leave 1/4 to 1/2 a tank in mine.

Michael

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting
I store it with the tank full but it doesn't help.

I expected to use the Cub more in the winter and was going to get a snow blade for it etc. But I bought an actual tractor to do that that work so the Cub sits all winter.

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting #6  
So you had to manually add gas to the carburetor to get it to start?

My 2544 takes a good 10sec+ worth of cranking on my first start of the season and usually hits on one cyl for the first few seconds of run time, then smooths right out. The last bit of gasoline that runs through it before it runs out (I store it dry) has an extra dose of Sta-bil and/or Lucas fuel add in it. This was season 5 for me.

/ 2554 Fuel pump lost prime from sitting #7  
Mine always starts almost as soon as I turn the key. Although mine has probably never sat more than 2 months without starting.