2565 died today.

/ 2565 died today. #1  

bhstovall

Tractor
Mahindra 2565
I just got back in the house from a long & unexpected walk. I went out to just ride around on my 2565 & check on things, & unload my pickup. The tractor cranked as it always has, I unloaded the pickup and headed out for my ride. I went down the big hill to get down to the bottoms where everything I wanted to check out is located. I drove around the bottoms and the pond, then half way up the hill behind the house, & back down. I was headed back around the pond when the tractor just died. It was so completely dead that I immediately checked the key to make sure that I had not accidentally bumped it somehow. All it will do is spin. It is almost like it has no compression, but this is the 1st diesel engine that I have ever owned, & don't know what that actually sounds like, I'm comparing it to a gas burner. What should I look for or check? Where it is sitting I won't be able to get to it with a trailer until the ground dries out considerably, so I would like to get it back up to the house at least. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ 2565 died today. #2  
My initial thought where it shut off that quick is to check electrical circuits related to the ignition or fuel system.

/ 2565 died today. #3  
im thinking fuel injection issue. is there a stop solenoid on that unit? we had a tractor at a ranch i worked on that did something similar. we pulled the stop solenoid and manually shifted the guts. tractor started up. mind you we than had to manually shut down the injector....was kinda close to fan belt. probably wouldn't do that now that im older and smarter. also water in fuel could be an issue. try removing the water separator and take a look

/ 2565 died today. #4  
Would a seat safety switch or other safety switch kill it instantly?

/ 2565 died today.
This 2565 does not have a seat switch, but I will check all of the fuses and connections in the morning weather permitting. Thanks for the quick replies.

/ 2565 died today. #7  
i dont think it will even crank over if seat switch isnt engaged

Good point- u r correct on that. I had to reread the OPs post about it just cranking now......oops I failed reading comprehension on this one!

/ 2565 died today. #8  
I had the same thing happen to me once on my 3016. On mine, it was a fuel problem. I had to put more diesel in (was low but certainly not empty) and then bleed the filter bowl before it would start again.
The only other time it felt like a compression problem was when the tractor stalled and made an odd hiccup while doing some heavy work. When I attempted to restart, it sounded as if it had no compression . What was happening there was that the engine was spinning backward. I just waited for stuff to cool down and then it started and ran just fine after that.

/ 2565 died today.
Update: the rain finally stopped long enough for me to get out & do some preliminary checks. All of the fuses that I could find were OK, as well as the electrical connections. There is no fuel getting through the filter. It will probably be Tuesday at earliest that I will be able to get a new one. I will post when I get it changed and everything primed back up.

/ 2565 died today.
***Update***
Ok, it turned out that a foreign substance roughly the consistency of wheel bearing grease made its way into the filter housing & got trapped in the housing itself, never making it to the filter! There was also a small round piece of rubber tat was behind the substance, so even if the grease-like stuff had made it to the filter, the little piece of rubber still would have impeded the flow of fuel. I have no idea how either of the foreign matters could have made its way into the fuel pump. I had one instance of water contamination back in the summer, which prompted me to install a seperate "Goldenrod" water filter on my pump, but now I am considering installing another pre-filter (R12T on Ebay) somewhere on the rail between the tank & the Bosch filter that came on the tractor. As a side note, Has anyone been able to find these $55 Bosch filters anywhere besides Mahindra? How about the oil filter? It wouldn't take long to put a fellow in the poor house if you had to buy many of them at $50 + per filter!