2610D Turbocharging

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Jagmandave, would have loved to drill and tap oil pan. Only problem I seen is the fact that the oil pan is only about 3 inches deep and is above frame. I could see no place to tap oil pan.

Is there something I missed here. I will relocate drain if I can to a better place..

/ 2610D Turbocharging #32  
The air filter looks like a K&N. Is it a turbo/diesel rated filter? I ask only because my Ford F350 is really picky. Some owners have found in tests that the K&N is actually way worse than the original OEM filter. With tractors and the dust/pollen/dirt/etc we operate in this may become an issue with blasting the intake valves. Just askin not a recommendation.

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Not, sure if its a diesel rated filter or not. Thanks for information, I am not going to use this filter permantely. Its just there for initial start up and testing. I am going to be running ABS from turbo to original air filter up front.

I have read some info on K&N and would probably never put one on my Powerstroke.

I have decided to put my intercooler on the tractor. Intake tube is hot to the touch. I am guessing over 120 degrees (air temp 75) intercoooler should help. Less boost with intercooler but cooler intake charge means more o2. Will have more lag but who cares with a tractor. Is not supposed to have any time slips. Just pure raw torque.

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Was wondering if anyone has any advise on what degree of advance I need on this tractor? Typical boost at 2000 rpm under driving load going up a slight hill is 5 psi. My elevation is 8000 ft. Manual states 21 degrees. Should I set it at 21 degrees? Advance a few more degrees? or ****** some? Please keep in mind I have to plug tractors heaters in below 40 degrees due to low air pressure up here.

Also note that I do not think I have a mark on my crank wheel to indicate location that injectors should pop. I believe I have a TDC mark and another unknown mark that I cannot hit even if I remove ALL shims behind injector pump. Right now my injectors pop on what I belive to be close to the TDC mark. In other words 1 to 4 degrees advanced. The tractor seems to start better in this position in cold weather.

Please let me know if you would like to see photos of my crank pully, so you can see the timing marks I am talking about.

/ 2610D Turbocharging
Intercooler is installed. Boost seems to come on quicker now, I am baffeled about that!! I woud have thought a longer lag with more volume to fill but it does not seem to be the case.

Boost pressure has not changed as far as PSI goes. My boost gauge is hooked to the turbocharger. I am going to hook it to the intake manifold this afternoon and see what kinda boost pressure loss I get across intercooler.

The intercooler is working, after running the tractor for about 20 minutes, I opened hood and felt intercooler. It was probably about 120 degrees on the intake side and cool to touch on exhaust side.

/ 2610D Turbocharging
This will be my last post on this thread, due to the fact that my turbocharger project is now complete.

Hooked boost guage to intake and all is well. No noticable pressure losses. Engine runs strong and altitude is well compensated for. Turbo is the PERFECT size for this motor and it seems to LOVE the turbo. I hardly ever see black smoke except for first second or 2 that I give it throttle. I suppose the turbo may even clean up the oil because of less sueit(sp) and unused diesel passing rings.

All in all it was a good project.

Project costs:

1 Turbocharger MHI TD025M $299.00 plus shipping $30
1 banjo bolt $6 plus shipping $5
1 4 ft Stainless Steel oil line -4AN $28
1 Oil pressure tap $4
PVC pipe and clamps $28
Exhaust pipe and 1/4 inch steel plate $27
Oil return hose and 3/4 inch elbow $6
Exhaust gasket 12 inch X 12 inch $14
Valve to block pressure to thermostart bowl $4
New hose to thermostart bowl 18 cents
Boost guage $28
Hose for boost guage $1.20
My labor FREE

Total $480.38

Figure 25% increase in HP= 7hp (this is conservative, Seat of pants says this could be a 35-40 HP tractor now) Maybe more when I get my injection pump to pop correctly. Please note my injectors now pop at 1 to 3 degrees before TDC I think???

or $69 per Horsepower

One last observation! Tractor is much louder now. The exhaust system I used earlier was VERY quiet. So much so that I did not even need a muffler with the 1st turbocharger (it was too big). But now even with a turbo dampening the sound it is very loud with straight pipes. Hearing protection is now a must. Not going to use a muffler it just hinders the turbo and reduces hp.

Last edited:
   / 2610D Turbocharging
Well its been over 5 years and my turbo 2610D is running great. Turbo is still cranking out between 5 and 10 psi and loving it. Only time it gets to 10 psi is when my snowblower hits a 2 or 3 foot deep drift it needs to eat thru.

Still starts without assistance at every temp encountered....lowest so far is about 10 degrees F. I have not logged on in a long while and noticed dozens of private messages on this subject. I will try to be more responsable in the future.

One thing I must say. I change the oil in my tractor every 50 hours. This is because of the turbocharger!

/ 2610D Turbocharging #38  
That's interesting glad it is working like you hoped it would!

I have a turbo on mine too its factory installed though. I dont have a boost gage on it but I have contemplated temporarily installing one on for the heck of it. I would have already if there was a port to do it with kindof hate to drill one just to check. I doubt it makes much pressure but might be surprised? I never hear it except when I rev it while sitting still, it has slight whistle to it thats why I doubt it makes much pressure. fwtw

/ 2610D Turbocharging #39  
Well its been over 5 years and my turbo 2610D is running great. Turbo is still cranking out between 5 and 10 psi and loving it. Only time it gets to 10 psi is when my snowblower hits a 2 or 3 foot deep drift it needs to eat thru.

Still starts without assistance at every temp encountered....lowest so far is about 10 degrees F. I have not logged on in a long while and noticed dozens of private messages on this subject. I will try to be more responsable in the future.

One thing I must say. I change the oil in my tractor every 50 hours. This is because of the turbocharger!

How is the tractor running now in 2014?

Just a note, the John Deere 1050 uses a sibling engine to the 3T80. It has a turbo. If the exhaust system from the JD fits the 3T80, maybe the noise would be far less and still allow the Hp gains. Just a thought.

/ 2610D Turbocharging #40  
Good thread. Any further feedback? I am interested in adding a turbo to my JD 3005, which also uses a yanmar 3 cylinder motor. It is 1.3 liter, what is the displacement of the engines discussed in this thread?