2615 wont start

/ 2615 wont start #1  

SABULA FARMER

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335SST
Well, the first cold snap and the 2615 wont start! Acts like a dead battery, which it shouldnt be, I just ran the thing three days ago for at least 2 hrs. I have also noticed that when its cold out, the hydraulic pump makes a rattling noise....Whats up with that...?
Any sugestions?

/ 2615 wont start #2  
Well, the first cold snap and the 2615 wont start! Acts like a dead battery, which it shouldnt be, I just ran the thing three days ago for at least 2 hrs. I have also noticed that when its cold out, the hydraulic pump makes a rattling noise....Whats up with that...?
Any sugestions?

To me acts "like a dead battery" means it won't crank, or cranks slow. Is that what you mean? Been in auto repair for many years, we get busy when the temperatures are extreme.

"cold...hydraulic pump rattling noise" this might just be a component complaining because it needs to be warmer to operate properly.

BTW where are you? ie: northeast? west?

/ 2615 wont start
To me acts "like a dead battery" means it won't crank, or cranks slow. Is that what you mean? Been in auto repair for many years, we get busy when the temperatures are extreme.

"cold...hydraulic pump rattling noise" this might just be a component complaining because it needs to be warmer to operate properly.

BTW where are you? ie: northeast? west?

North Central PA...Yes the rattling noise is when its cold, and yes it cranks slow. I just dont get it though...the battery was fine just a couple days ago, maybe the life span is three years on it...?

/ 2615 wont start #4  
I have a 2615 and changed out my battery the first winter with the biggest cold cranking battery walmart sold because it seemed to turn over too slow in the coldest temps. The battery has been in my wife's car and works great even in the winter, but I think the power requirements of her civic are less than my 2615. With this recent cold snap, it takes some cranking to get the tractor running, but the bigger battery really helps get it going.

/ 2615 wont start #5  
I'm in upstate NY in the snow belt. I had to replace my 2615's battery within 3 years. Cold winters take their toll on them. I bought the largest CCA battery that would fit in the box to replace the stocker. It also helps to have a lower hose heater (which I have on mine) or a block heater. I don't have a rattling in my hyd. pump just a cold weather whine. By the way, mine is an 04 and I've had to replace the glow plugs too. A friend of mine has an 06 and he changed out his battery a month ago when we did his 200 hour service.

/ 2615 wont start #6  
"cold...hydraulic pump rattling noise"
= Summer hydraulic oil, should be lighter wt is my guess.
Check your ownerès manual for suggested weights.

Others have related to battery issues.

/ 2615 wont start #7  
cold...hydraulic pump rattling noise"
How on earth can you even hear a pump noise over the cold engine diesel clatter? Get the big Walmart battery. I junked the original before the first Winter. I knew that factory battery was a loser the first time I looked in there. Do youself a favor and get one with the provision for an external vent tube. Your radiator will thank you in a few years. My Walmart is going on 4 years and still spins it fine. You probably have at least one dead
Glow plug as well. Mitsu's seem to snack on those with some regularity.

/ 2615 wont start
cold...hydraulic pump rattling noise"
How on earth can you even hear a pump noise over the cold engine diesel clatter? Get the big Walmart battery. I junked the original before the first Winter. I knew that factory battery was a loser the first time I looked in there. Do youself a favor and get one with the provision for an external vent tube. Your radiator will thank you in a few years. My Walmart is going on 4 years and still spins it fine. You probably have at least one dead
Glow plug as well. Mitsu's seem to snack on those with some regularity.

LOL,,,I know its hard but yes you can hear it...sound like its coming fom the left rear side of the engine...It whines and if you drive the tractor, it will rattle. It will stop though when you cycle the front end loader. Once it warms up, its fine, makes zero noise.
I will get a battery today, anyone have the battery number from walmart? I appreciate all the feed back on this.

/ 2615 wont start #9  
It takes a while for hydraulic oil to catch up to temp with the rest. Once I get started I do some light manuvering of the loader and 3 point. The more you use it the warmer it gets. I would take it easy on the hydraulics while they are warming up since I am sure the pump is overworked when fluid is cold.

As for cold starting. Sometimes batteries don't work well in the cold. You can turn the glow plugs on and off a few times. They say to turn lights on or something like that a few minutes before you start to "wake up" the battery. This gets the battery internals moving around and warms it up so to speak. Then it has a better chance of being able to do the heavy starting. I had to jump my 6500 a week or so ago since it was cold and had not run in a while. Doesn't necessarily mean your battery is dead.

A trickle charger would help too if it is sitting for a bit.

/ 2615 wont start
It takes a while for hydraulic oil to catch up to temp with the rest. Once I get started I do some light manuvering of the loader and 3 point. The more you use it the warmer it gets. I would take it easy on the hydraulics while they are warming up since I am sure the pump is overworked when fluid is cold.

As for cold starting. Sometimes batteries don't work well in the cold. You can turn the glow plugs on and off a few times. They say to turn lights on or something like that a few minutes before you start to "wake up" the battery. This gets the battery internals moving around and warms it up so to speak. Then it has a better chance of being able to do the heavy starting. I had to jump my 6500 a week or so ago since it was cold and had not run in a while. Doesn't necessarily mean your battery is dead.

A trickle charger would help too if it is sitting for a bit.

What are you guys using to keep your fuel from gelling? Have you ever used that diesel 911...? The only thing I could find was the diesel 911 for gelled fuel and stp ejector cleaner with anti0- gel properties...will this work good enough to keep the fuel from turning to paste...?

Sorry fellas, I found some answers in the fuel forum....Power service additive was reccomended. I tell ya, this is the second time my fuel has gelled, both times it was supposed to be treated and bought from sheetz! I get sick of paying the price for treated diesel and still having the problems. I think its time to start using some kero diesel mix for the cold months.