27 or 2910?

/ 27 or 2910? #1  

Turfman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
This spring, or maybe late this winter, should be purchasing time. We have an upstart landscaping firm and need a tractor. We are looking at the B2710 and had decided that it was the unit. Just waiting for my ship to come in to finance the purchase. Well, we started comparing the 2910 to the 2710 and now we can't decide. I'd really like the 2910 for the added HP and the adjustable 3 PH. The adjustable steering wheel makes little difference to me, we'd likely just set it and leave it there.

I wonder if the advantages are worth the extra $1200? Or have I really missed the boat on a landscape tractor and we need something else entirely?

Any thoughts?

/ 27 or 2910? #2  
Turfman, go back and read this thread in which we discussed this topic with fishman when he was trying to make this decision (he went with the B2910).

BirdSig.jpg

/ 27 or 2910? #3  
If you add hydraulic Top n Tilt, the ratchet tilt that comes with the 2910 will just get set aside and not used, so keep this in mind when you weigh the value of each feature. Also don't forget the cruse control on the 2910. It might play a role in your landscaping.

/ 27 or 2910? #4  
Turfman,

I really like my 2910 and haven't regretted my decision to purchase it. The improved seat, extendable three-point, and ratchet lift rod are worth the money in my opinion. However:

The cruise control is a pain/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. The lever sticks up along side the right part of the seat. I am a big guy, and my right leg is always bumping the lever. If it is moved to the right at all, you can't use reverse because of the lockout feature. It happens to me <font color=red>all of the time</font color=red>. I can't believe that I'm the only one with this gripe. Am I? Anybody else have a solution other than removal?

Anyway, you will be happy with either, I'd bet. $1200 will buy a tiller, or a light duty rotary cutter and box blade, or . . .

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ 27 or 2910? #5  
I have a similar problem with the cruse control. My fat rear tends to shove the lever to the right and then the reverse peddle won't move due to the interlock. Maybe a bungie cord would at least pull it back into place when I move my derrier (sp?) out of the way.

I have to confess that I've only used the cruse control once or twice to convince myself it works. I would only use it for mowing a large, even field, and I don't have one of those.

/ 27 or 2910? #6  
You say about interlock? I have a 2910 and when I have cruise on, it takes more pressure but my reverse works, just pushes the cruise back into off, should I not be doing this?

/ 27 or 2910? #7  
Turfman,
<font color=blue>I really missed the boat on a landscape tractor and we need something else entirely?</font color=blue>
Another member "mdbarb" has a landscape business and he picked the B21. I don't have a clue why or for that matter what your needs are. Maybe he will jump in and provide some thoughts.
Al

/ 27 or 2910? #8  
turfman
I have not had a problem with Cruise Control. At 175 lbs and 5' 10" I don't have a fit problem.
I use Cruise Control a lot when rototilling.
What implements are you planning on using?
The adjustable lower links make it easier to change attachments. If you are going to keep a box blade on all the time then this feature will not be an advantage.
If you plan on using PTO driven implements the extra horsepower may be desirable.
Sitting in a more comfortable seat all day maybe a wanted feature. But you can purchase an after market seat for a lot less.
The 2 features that made my decision was extra horsepower and adjustable draft links.

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ 27 or 2910? #9  
When seated, the cruse moves to the right to get out of the lock gate, then forward to increase forward speed. When crusing forward, pressing the reverse peddle moves the cruse back to slow down. The brake peddle releases the cruse completely.

I find that if the cruse is to the right, but fully back e.g. out of the lock position but not causing forward motion, I cannot fully depress the reverse peddle to go backwards. It will go a bit, but not much. If I pull the cruse to the left placing it in the lock position, then the reverse peddle will depress fully.

My butt tends to move the cruse out of the lock position and prevent full depression of the reverse peddle.

Does yours behave differently (your tractor, not your butt)?

/ 27 or 2910? #10  
Hayden,

That perfectly describes the situation I have with my tractor.

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG