273 Drive shaft - Me too!

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #11  
Nope. It is the shaft above that between the engine and the HST. The shaft you posted powers the front end in 4wd. The ends of the shaft you pictured are the same as the old style shaft being replaced.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #12  
Looks like I have the old model shaft in my Montana. Got about 600 hours on it now and it has not failed yet. Maybe I should go ahead and change it I am planning to make a subframe to stop the twisting as soon as I have time. Maybe that will help the shaft also.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #13  
Guess what? I found out which input shaft you were all taking about and I did it the HARD WAY. Mine broke Friday when helping a cousin put in a new yard. I got it shut down pretty quickly but what an awful sound it made. I have not had time to take a deeper look and see if the splines got damaged. The thing that irritates me most is last month I called my dealer and inquired about the re-designed shaft (after seeing all these threads) and although he was happy to order me one he said he wouldn't worry about it because they have not seen many fail so I didn't order one. Looking through the threads here, that certainly does not seem to be the case. Wish me luck in getting this thing going again.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #14  
myyaz33, That sure stinks! I thought yours was new enough to have had the "supposedly" improved design already installed? If so, then it means I've got a problem coming along some day also -- sure hope it's way down the road. Good luck with your repair. Greg

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #15  
Greg- I wish it was new enough but it was not. I also had to ask the dealer to get the updated muffler design after having problems. If you are under warranty still, you should insist they get you the replacement as it will cost much less upfront than later for both parties.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #16  
myyaz33, Mine (2009) came with the muffler update already attached; and I believe the newer drive shaft -- as mine has (2) grease zerks on it. One
at each end. They seem to like a shot or two approx every 50 hours too. Hopefully it is in fact a stronger shaft! Good luck with your repairs; I look forward to reading about it and perhaps seeing some pics? Stay strong... Greg