2740 PTO knocking noise

/ 2740 PTO knocking noise #1  

readywatt

Tractor
Montana 2740
I was cutting through some tall thick grass with my finish mower & it bogged in down pretty good. before I could get on the clutch I heard a pop & it sounded like my blades were hitting. After inspecting the mower it was fine. I removed the PTO shaft from the mower & engaged the PTO at idle & it makes a noise. Sounds like I may have broke a gear in the PTO drive. curious what is involved in fixing that & obtaining parts for that. Looks like Iam going to need to find someone to work on that.

/ 2740 PTO knocking noise #2  
Welcome to the forum. Your story is familiar to me. About 10 years ago I was chipping some dry cascara trees with my Wallenstein chipper when I heard a loud bang and the chipper stopped with the tractor engine still running. PTO lever was still engaged, but shaft was not turning. I called the dealer I purchased it from and told me not to run the tractor until he looked at it. Long story short was he took it to his shop and tore it down. Turned out that the pto shaft had snapped about in the middle and granaded the gear that drove the pto shaft. I was glad I didn't try to repair it myself, as it got pretty involved. Getting parts was not a problem for he was and still is an LS dealer, who made the montana 2740. i think the labor and parts was around $1200. then. I don't know why the shear bolt didn't snap, which probably would have saved it. Lots of debris went the bottom of the gear case that could have been another problem. Hope you get it fixed up, The 2740 is a great little machine....Dan

/ 2740 PTO knocking noise
Yea it's been a great machine. I think I can get the parts through Montana Tractor Parts JOE'S TRACTOR SALES, INC. THOMASVILLE, NC (800) 881-4582.

I called them to check on some of the PTO parts to see if they were available. If only I can find someone to work on it. I don't think I want to tear in to that without knowing anything about it.

I have the parts manual & service manual but it doesn't tell you much about the procedure so I am leaving that to someone who knows what they doing.

Jimmy