2nd Hand Beasts?

/ 2nd Hand Beasts? #1  

Mr Feral

Howdy folks,

Any thoughts on these comparisons:

International 585 with FEL & 7500 hrs! $16K

Farmliner 445 CDT with FEL & 1500 hrs $22K

Will be using it for cleaning up a rambling, hilly 70 acre property in subtropical Australia, (hence the prices may look weird to most of you). The International is private but in good nick, the Farmliner is from a dealer and looks like it's been kept outside... but then the hours are low.

Thanks for any help.

/ 2nd Hand Beasts? #2  
Well to be honest I've never heard of a farmliner. Most likely their are'nt many, if any americans that have a clue as to what that is. Now that IH I know about. Great tractor. If its been cared for then talk him down 2000 or 1500 if you can.Tell us about the farmliner. Whats it comparable to? The IH does have alot of hrs on it. Has it had a rebuild? If those farmliners are name brand stuff how are they compared to IH? Do any of your mates have one?

/ 2nd Hand Beasts? #3  
Welcome to TBN.

Don't have much advice to offer, except to say that my past experience with IH tractors of a similar era is that they are generally reliable.

Torque Amplifier (if fitted) can be dicky - won't always change under power as it ought.
They can also get glazed cylinder bores on light, low speed work. Post driving and hydraulic vine pruning killed mine - the driver got splattered with unburned diesel and oil from the exhaust.

Todd, Farmliner might be known in the US as Universal Farmliner and were made by UTB in Eastern Europe under license from Fiat.

/ 2nd Hand Beasts?
Yup - I believe the Farmliner is now called a 'Universal Farmliner' and they do look quite similar to the Fiats.

Thanks for your help guys. The International hasn't had a rebuild, and I'm guessing that time is probably not too far off - I suppose it depends on what's included in a rebuild, but what sort of money would that add to the price?
regards,
j