2nd Hand Slasher

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #1  

MacMurphy

I have just purchased a Kioti CK30HST and am awaiting delivery... I am comparing new and 2nd hand attachments and being my first tractor I know nothing...

I expected a category 0 3pl to be a standard and that any cat 0 3pl attachment would work with my tractor however my dealer has informed me that the drive shaft needs to be cut to suit my tractor and that if I use an attachment that has not been setup for my tractor it may damage the PTO and void the warranty... In other words I have been advised not to source any 2nd hand attachments and purchase new where he can fit it for me.

Is this correct or am I being lead up the garden path here ?

Thanks

Murph

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #2  
I believe you have a catagory 1 three point hitch. You can operate used impliments. And used pto impliments. The Pto shaft may have to be shortened if it is too short you would have to buy a new shaft I found a new pto shaft for a home made chipper I bought, it cost me $ 100. dollars. You may not have much luck renting an impliment that is run by the pto because you can not cut the pto shaft on the rental unit. It is better to buy new if you can affort it. I.M.H.O.
David
good luck and enjoy your tractor

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #3  
and purchase new where he can fit it for me.>>>>>

In reality this means where he can "sell" you one to fit it for you. If he in fact would allow you to bring in a piece that you bought from dealer x, and he would still fit it for you, you have one heck of a good dealer.

That is one, of many, reasons that I dont have green. The dealer I spoke with about Green told me he would be glad to provide me with all the cat 0 implements I needed, at his prices of course.

/ 2nd Hand Slasher
Yes correct, SELL and fit it for me.

As pointed out my 3pl is cat 1 not cat 0.

So does this mean that any attachment purchased must be fitted to my tractor... wow what about a standard for 3pls ?

Does everyone get the dealer to fit attachments or can they be fitted by oneself with a little work ?

Thanks

Murph

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #5  
Part way up the path. His concern is based in fact. Most 3PH equipment is more or less dimensionally standard within categories. The hitch standards do not pertain to PTO in any way. Most implement manufacturers buy PTO input shafts complete in stock lengths from one of two or three suppliers. It is more common than not to have to cut these shafts to length; and failing to do so can, and has caused the type of damage he has cautioned you about. However he seems to be using that as a path to your wallet. Just be sure any PTO implement you buy has a minimum of 6" of overlap of the shaft halves throughout the lift/lower range of the hitch. Also be sure you have the ability to disconnect the shaft from the tractor throughout the lift range as well. This guarantees the shaft won't bottom out, which causes the damage.

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #6  
Murph, it is quite common to need to shorten a PTO driveshaft, and is no big deal, even with just a manual hacksaw. Go to the Bush Hog website, click on "Owners Manuals" on the left side of the page, then under "Turf and Other Products", click on the "RTN-RTH-RTNR Rotary Tillers", go to page 9 and there's illustrated instructions. I had to do that to my tiller for my B7100 Kubota.

/ 2nd Hand Slasher #8  
Look around your area for someone who buys/sells/repairs used tractors and equipment. They can usually fix you up with a pto shaft thats the right size. Maybe be new or used. The guy I go to charges about $20 if you have a shaft he can resize. I've found him to be a great source of info, he doesn't seem to mind answering any question, no matter how silly, doesn't matter if I'm buying something or not. As a result of his helpfulness I tend to buy whatever I can from him for my old D17.