2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #21  
000028d3qfwwbxqs.gif

It's simple... John Deere doesn't need the service... /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

That's why Kubota dealer provides on-site service... must be needed... /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200
Poster: glennmac
Subject: Re: 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

> Hook, I have 11 acres. I finish mow 3 and brush cut
> about 3 or 4. Mowing and cutting is what I do and will
> continue to do most.

This is pretty similar to my propety/needs.

> To me, the 4300 (actually 4400) is the tractor I would buy
> now if I had it to do all over again--except for five things.
> I, like many people who have selected Kubotas over JDs,
> think that (1) the Kubota hydro is smoother and better,

I have very little time on any tractors, but they felt equivalent to me.

> (2) the Kubota pedals are easier to press and less jerky,

No argument about the pedals being easier to press on the Kubota.

> (3) the Kubota control layout is better,

Ignoring the pedals, I agree with this.

> (4) the Kubota engine is quieter and smoother, and

Maybe something was wrong with the B2910 I drove, but it was noisier than the JD.

> (5) the Kubotas have been much more problem free and
> reliable than the JD 4000 series.

I have no experience withn this (of course), but I believe it, given my experience with cars & motorcycles (my cars are Sweidsh & Japanese, my cruiser is Japanese).

> These things would, and do, deter me from buying a JD.
> But that's just my opinion, much of which is subjective.

> If, however, those things werent negatives to me--or were
> even positives, as they seem to be to you--I would buy the
> 43/4400 over the 2910 because I like the size and the
> attachment designs better. I wouldnt consider the 4200.
Because you think it's underpowered?

> You cannot expect the Kubota and JD to be the same
> price; they are different products.

Yes, but they are both viable alternatives for the same jobs.

> I think JDs are more expensive in most parts of the country.
> I wouldnt let $1500 stop me from getting the 4300.

Sigh ... as I said in a previous post, when I started all of this, I was looking at at BX2200 ... maybe $13K with all of the attachments. Now I'm considering maybe $21K. Are you sure this web site isn't sponsored by the tractor manufacturers?

> You have to think of a tractor and implements as being in
> the nature of a vehicle purchase, pricewise--$15000 to
> $30000 for decent one. But unlike, and better, than a car,
> a tractor can literally last you the rest of you life, and still
> have a decent residual value. Think of that $1500 as being
> prorated over that time frame. It's worth it for the extra
> engine and hydraulic power of the 4300, and you'll be able
> to attach larger backhoes and pull larger implements on
> your acreage.

More to think about ...

> If you go the 3ph mower route instead of belly mower,
> which is another key decision you have to make, the
> maneuverability among 27-45 hp tractors is almost
> irrelevant.

I've given this a lot of thought & decided to go with the MMM, since I do have some non-trivial maneuvering to do around trees, bushed, etc.

Thanks for the note.

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #23  
Hook, I went throught a very similar buying process. Since you are doing so much homework, I'll offer something else to read. This thread, which I think remains the longest ever in the Kubota Buying forum, documents in excessive detail my psychological agonizing as I moved from a BX to a 2910 in my mind and wallet:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buykubota&Number=13202&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=9

I resisted mightily the bigger-is-better advice I was being given. With a year's perspective, I realize it was all correct. I dont want others to make the same mistake I did. I dont always advise people to buy bigger than what they originally post, but with 15 acres I truly believe that find lots of other land improvement projects to do, and that you will appreciate having a 30+ hp tractor capable of pulling a 72" finish mower, 72" brush cutter, and more than entry-level dirt-engaging implements.

To complete your education, you probably should try a 3010 as has been suggested on one of your other threads. They are less than $1000 more than a 2910, and probably less than the Deeres. Plus they have more operator space and may fit you better than the 2910.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #24  
Hook
Re: Ergonomics
I, too, felt that the B series felt cramped. One dealer recommended a B2100 for my needs, another a B2400. One night after the dealer had closed I sat on a B2100 and a B2400 and felt uncomfortable on each of them. I thought that I could now justify the newly released B2710. That was no more comfortable than the others, due to the platform design. After then sitting on a L3010 I was "hooked". Even though it is overkill for my application it will be the last tractor that I will buy. There is plenty of "sprawl" room; something that my overweight body needs. As long as you are thinking of JD4300, why not try a L3010, L3410????

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #25  
Hook,

I've just read through your Trials and Tribulations on Tractor Buying. I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV AND I have not slept in a certain hotel chain. Having said all that I can certainly tell you have been bitten by the TractorItis Bug! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Don't worry TractorItis, its not harmful, its just expensive! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif What makes TractorItis some horrible is that the sickness starts out small. The infected person, says "Dear," or should I say, "Deere, I only need a small tractor. It looks like it will cost around $10,000. I know its alot of money but here is what it will do...."

Then you find TBN. Yes, some might believe we are a bunch of TractorHeads sitting at Orange, Green, Blue HQ, selling tractors. But, alas, this is not so. We are just in later stages of TractorItis. We have had the sickness for longer than you.... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Come and join us! TractorItis is not really that bad. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As you read and learn more and more about Tractors, aka TractorItis, you will find that what you thought you first needed is not enough. That truely you need a larger more powerful tractor. Of course its tough going back to the Significent Other and explaining how the TractorItis sufferer went from thinking of spending $10K to $20K and finally NEEDING to spend $30+K. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif When you TractorItis has hit The Explaining/Begging Stage you must be careful. This is when the SO can get, shall we say animated, and this is the most dangerous stage of TractorItis starts..... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

You are getting some good advice. I started looking at the JD 900 models, moved into the 4400/4500s, moved a bit more to the 4600/4700 then made a jump to study the 5x05's and 5210s. Eventually I worked my way down to the 4700 type of machines and eventually bought a 4700. No regrats what so ever and I'm continuously amazed at what the machine will do....

I think you are going through the right buying process. I would encourge you to read all of the Tractor Projects and Attachement threads. When I found TBN that was a fairly easy thing to do but not anymore! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif You may also want to try out the jplan site as well. There where topics in those threads, often buried unexpectently in a discussion, things that I had never heard of/considered/thought about. They made a big difference in my buying decisions. Try to explore all of the things you might do with a tractor. For this you really need to hear what other people are doing since there is so much that can be done with this equipment. Other chores may vastly change what you need and change your buying decision. I would also try to read as much as possible about the tractor itself. But that is tough to do since TBN has grown so large.

For instance my list of things that I MIGHT want a tractor to do is/was, run a wood chipper, a plow, bail hay, run a PTO auger, power a generator, run a sprayer, mount a backhoe, mount a tiller, and of course a FEL and rotary cutter. In the last couple of month I have learned about post hole drivers and hydraulic augers. These have been added to the list..... TractorItis DOES continue after the purchase. Its just another stage of the sickness.... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I think a hydraulic auger is far better than a PTO driven unit. But the tractor needs the hydraulics to handle the implement. I will eventually get a PTO generator. The generator requirement really pushed me towards a tractor with 40+ PTO HP. A wood chipper did as well. But the wood chipper will most likely never be bought. Thankfully, I bought a large enough tractor that will do all I plan to do. The only exception would be pulling a round bailer. I don't think my 4700 can do that but I don't I could justify the price. A square bailer MIGHT be in the future. Maybe.

Also remember that weight helps traction and that you are almost certainly going to have more horsepower than traction....

Make sure you get a large enough tractor for YOU to grow into. The tractor will suprise you in what it can do with the right attachments. Think about what chores you have to do, see if there is an implement that would do the job and is it a good purchasing decision......

Good Luck. And enjoy your TractorItis..... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Dan McCarty

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200
Poster: John Miller, III
Subject: Re: 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200

> JD4200 Shoe-in Pricing/Specs
> JD4300 Shoe-in Pricing/Specs

What does "Shoe-in" mean?

Hook

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #27  
Shoe-in... Ballpark... Street price.... something not "Manufacturer List Price"... closer to real world prices...

I don't follow prices on new... I follow prices on "older units" that go to the auctions.

Some typical examples of new however are:
JD4200 Hydro 4WD, Mfr. List Price $16,445., Avg. Dealer Lot Price $14,143
JD4300 Hydro 4WD, Mfr. List Price $17,900., Avg. Dealer Lot Price $15,394.

These dealer lot prices are what the consumer typically pays for the unit...averaged out across all dealers. These prices don't include loaders or mowers... but do include typical add-on's on the tractors like additional hydraulic scv's etc.

Prices are very regional... If you're near a 'state' line, cross over and see what that dealer can actually sell the unit for...

Armed with "real prices" you can get your ultimate dream tractor for... you can walk into your local dealer and "spread the cards on the table"... this is what I can buy it for... I want to do business locally... what can you do for me... so I'm happy and you're happy.

Most local dealer's what the business... especially the multiple items you're considering. The smarter dealer will roll back and make say $2000. profit off a sale versus trying to make $3500. profit and possibly lose the sale entirely and end up $0.

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #28  
We decided on the 4300 over the 4200 based on the HP. Jane, the farmer's daughter, and I will be married 36 years tomorrow so you can understand that she had to be comfortable on the tractor.

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #29  
Happy Anniversary, Tim & Jane. We celebrated our 36th in April, 'cept in our case it was a country boy who married a city girl (well, maybe town girl instead of city) from the wilds of West Virginia./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ 2nd Impressions: Kubota B2910 vs. JD 4200 #30  
I purchased a 4200. The hydraulics have been nothing but trouble. Wish I had purchased a Kubota. All the contractors near me have them. This tractor has been in the shop 4 major times(total tractor split down). Still doesn't work correctly. I am a big guy, but just went to the K dealer and found the tractors tight, but I like to feel part of the machine not just a rider. A further note. you will find there are JD wackos out there that will tell you "no problems with JD"!! All brands have their tractors that have problems. Field repairs are the best. Once your tractor gets in the shop, good luck getting it back.