2nd Opinion on Truck Squat

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #11  
I have a curt bluetooth brake controller, so the wired controller isn't needed.
Interesting idea using a cellphone app to control the brakes. You can even get an optional manual override button to adhere to your dash so you can increase brake force in an emergency.

Still, a 7-pin connector needs to be installed that is hard-wired in, esp for the high-current wire that powers the brake electromagnets. The Curt Echo plugs into that. Does either vehicle offer the 7-pin connector installed?

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #12  
2019 Ford Ranger, tows up to 7500#. I've towed 5k and barely knew it was there. No squat at all. Look at what tongue weight is, IIRC, should be 10% of tow weight. Shouldn't cause squat

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #13  
Beyond the towing weight, what is the tongue weight of the various trailers loaded and what is the tongue weight capacity of the tow vehicle?

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #14  
2019 Ford Ranger, tows up to 7500#. I've towed 5k and barely knew it was there. No squat at all. Look at what tongue weight is, IIRC, should be 10% of tow weight. Shouldn't cause squat
Go and buy 500# of concrete in bags from your favorite hardware store. Loaded into the rear area of my Taco's bed, the height drops at least 3-4 inches. But I don't think that is a bad thing. The drop is further for 2WD, if that is what you have.

I will bet the new Ranger drops a similar amount. My old '89 Toyota PU, a short-cab V6 4x4 manual trans squatted noticeably less.

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #15  
probably seen this already but lots of info pulling 5000+ into the hills with a GX 460

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #16  
Go and buy 500# of concrete in bags from your favorite hardware store. Loaded into the rear area of my Taco's bed, the height drops at least 3-4 inches. But I don't think that is a bad thing. The drop is further for 2WD, if that is what you have.

I will bet the new Ranger drops a similar amount. My old '89 Toyota PU, a short-cab V6 4x4 manual trans squatted noticeably less.
Absolutly does not drop even close to that. An inch I'd say. Too much drop "lightens" the front end, and, steering...

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #17  
  1. I am buying a new truck. Here are my constraints:

I am between a Toyota Tacoma or a Lexus GX.

I tow a 5,000 lb boat, 5,000lb dump trailer (single axle), and misc dual axle uhaul trailers, about 4000 lbs

I am concerned about the squat on the Lexus GX, can someone give me their thoughts, here is my math

Lexus

• GAWR Rear 3800
  • Weight of Truck 5198
  • Payload 1315
  • Towing Capacity 6500
  • Weight Dist Front to Rear 52/ 48
Tacoma

• GAWR Rear 3280
  • Weight of Truck 4505
  • Payload 1095
  • Towing Capacity 6400
  • Weight distribution 56/ 44

Lexus Math

• 3800 GAWR Rear
  • Subtract weight of truck times weight distribution (0.48) is 2495
  • Available rear load 1305 (over the axle, doesn't account for the hitch distance )
Tacoma Math

• 3280 GAWR Rear
  • Subtract weight of truck times weight distribution (0.484) is 1982
  • Available rear load 1298 (over the axle, doesn't account for the hitch distance )

The rear load on each of these trucks is nearly the same. While the tacoma has leaf springs and the GX has multi link, would you think the truck would squat the same?
I like to tow no more that 75% of truck capacity for any distance. The weight you need is well over that for both those vehicles. So, how often and how far do you think you’ll be going on any given trip. Keep something in ming, a max tow number is established to capture your business, not necessarily long term safety.

If you use that small a vehicle for those weights, ensure there’s a functional trailer brake controller. I’d also get a weight distribution hitch and install air bags to eliminate squat. I have both on my F150 with a 12k towing capacity but seldom go over 7600lbs.

Bottom line - moving something and stopping confidently should greatly outweigh the manufacturer.

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #18  
Thanks for all the replys, some good thoughts here.

I have a curt bluetooth brake controller, so the wired controller isn't needed.

the helper bags are a good idea

the base lexus doesn't have the air suspension.
you are asking for trouble these are not even close to be able to tow these loads so go buy a F150 or a Silverado or a ram a little car is not going to get it done

/ 2nd Opinion on Truck Squat #19  
Why consider either one? Ford Super Duty and never regret it.