/ 3.21 #1  

Capricious

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT160D
Next year I plan to buy a new pickup, what used to be referred to as a "half ton." I would like to be able to tow a fully-loaded 7,000 lb trailer, which means the truck would need to be rated to tow about 8,000 lbs or more, since the advertised trailer towing load always assumes an empty truck, and my truck aint never empty.

I don't really care much about what brand, other than I want to avoid Ford since I don't want the aluminum body. Chevy has such gimmicky pricing. So I have been looking at Dodges (yea, I am aware of the Ram name and all, but they are Dodges as far as I am concerned.)

I noticed something; last year (2014) the dealers were all stocking 1500's with 3.55 axles ratios, which I assume was standard. The 2015's, however, all have 3.21's, which really cuts down on the towing capacity. A V6 Dodge with a 3.21 is rated for about 4,700 lbs or so, and if the truck has any kind of load that drops down to mid- to upper 3,000 lb range.

I swear I just checked dealer websites for 200 miles around here looking for a 2WD with a 3.55 ( or better yet, a 3.92) final drive ratio and I did not see one (admittedly, I did not look at vehicles priced over
$35,000.00)

Buying out of dealer stock usually get's one a larger discount, but for the lack of a $50.00 option it is looking like I will have to order.

/ 3.21 #2  
I say order and get what you want. Don't forget about Toyota and Nissan. They are both serious contenders.

Chris

/ 3.21 #3  
One other thing to consider is Payload. Ram is at the bottom end and if you plan on carrying anything and towing at the same time this may be a roadblock.

This is why I drive Fords among other reasons but payload and towing they always seem to be class leaders.

Chris

/ 3.21 #4  
What is the fuel mileage difference between a v6 gas and a v8 gas? I see on the chart you lose about 3 mpg with the big engine. A friend has a v8 gas with the 8-speed auto and says he is getting better than 20 mpg. I thought he said more like mid 20's. You certainly get more towing capacity with the V8. Also note that a trailer that has 6,000 pounds stacked 2 feet tall may tow easier (less drag) than a box trailer or travel trailer that is 7 or more feet tall. My Cummins diesel feels a v-nose box trailer that probably only weighs 6,000 pounds. My mileage also drops a lot when I have 47-53 square bales of hay on it. It isn't the weight but the hay sticking up above the cab like a big brick.

Can you do a test tow?

/ 3.21 #5  
Get a truck that can pull YOUR load up YOUR biggest hill at the speed you want. These days Brand wars are just games. Do your homework, test drive with your load attached on your roads. Pick the one you like. They are all very close pricewise, warrantywise, dependabilitywise and mileagewise.

Get real, unless you are hauling it 200 miles a day, every day, to use it for 4 to 6 hours, does it really matter if you are getting 18 or 16 MPG?

Insist on hauling your load on your roads or drive 20 miles to the next dealer. We ain't buying space shuttles despite what the dealers are trying to sell you.

/ 3.21 #6  
Get a truck that can pull YOUR load up YOUR biggest hill at the speed you want. These days Brand wars are just games. Do your homework, test drive with your load attached on your roads. Pick the one you like. They are all very close pricewise, warrantywise, dependabilitywise and mileagewise.

Get real, unless you are hauling it 200 miles a day, every day, to use it for 4 to 6 hours, does it really matter if you are getting 18 or 16 MPG?

Insist on hauling your load on your roads or drive 20 miles to the next dealer. We ain't buying space shuttles despite what the dealers are trying to sell you.

Well stated...

/ 3.21 #7  
does it really matter if you are getting 18 or 16 MPG?

while towing? perhaps not... but what about the other 99.9% of the time... i bet 11% difference still holds true. so runs some balpark numbers

15,000 miles a year, 20mpg = 750gal per year. or if you were driveing the more thirsty one 832.5 ... or 82 gals at (pick a price) $3 gal? ~$250 a year

/ 3.21 #8  
I've have a RAM 1500, 5.7L Hemi, eight speed tranny, 3:21 axle ratio, and average 22 MPG. I tow my tractor with out any issues (18 foot trailer, B3030 with backhoe, about 7200 LBS). The eight speed transmission with the 3:21 axle ratio has more off-the-line grunt than the six speed transmission with 3:92 axle ratio. Obviously your driving environment and style will dictate the final results, for me, I have the best of both sides, reasonable MPG and good towing ability.

/ 3.21
One other thing to consider is Payload. Ram is at the bottom end and if you plan on carrying anything and towing at the same time this may be a roadblock.

This is why I drive Fords among other reasons but payload and towing they always seem to be class leaders.

Chris

I have a 2001 Ranger that I bought new, and have not been real impressed with it. However, I would not rule out a Ford (nor any other brand) other than I don't want to be part of the aluminum experiment, plus Ford has pushed up the prices on the things. I read recently where the average "transaction price" for Ford trucks was up $2,000.00 for 2015 vs. 2014, and in checking local dealers I am not seeing anything I would consider a bargain.

Although Nissan & Toyota are not going to get me to 7,000 lbs I am certainly considering Nissan, but to get the "big" engine you have to buy a package of other stuff I don't want and don't want to pay for. Toyota is the same way, but priced higher. When it comes to either Nissan or Toyota, the dealers have box-stock models that will tow 3,500 lbs, or fully loaded models that will tow 6,100 to 6,500 lbs. Nothing that will tow the big numbers, but without the "bells and whistles"

I have never had a GM product, but my parents had a couple way-back-when (1977 & 1986) which were disasters. Still, if the price was right and the truck was right I would drive a Chevy.

Mileage is not a big concern. I have a Toyota Corolla for an every-day-driver, so the truck will be parked except when I need to drive it.

It just seems to me that the dealers are stocking what the average person is buying, and the average person buying a pickup truck these days is more interested in electronic do-dads than with a truck's actual ability to do anything useful.

In other words, they are catering to "lifestyle" buyers, as I have seen it stated.

Yes, I will have to order, but that won't get me the deal that buying out of stock would.

/ 3.21 #10  
I have a 2001 Ranger that I bought new, and have not been real impressed with it. However, I would not rule out a Ford (nor any other brand) other than I don't want to be part of the aluminum experiment, plus Ford has pushed up the prices on the things. I read recently where the average "transaction price" for Ford trucks was up $2,000.00 for 2015 vs. 2014, and in checking local dealers I am not seeing anything I would consider a bargain. Although Nissan & Toyota are not going to get me to 7,000 lbs I am certainly considering Nissan, but to get the "big" engine you have to buy a package of other stuff I don't want and don't want to pay for. Toyota is the same way, but priced higher. When it comes to either Nissan or Toyota, the dealers have box-stock models that will tow 3,500 lbs, or fully loaded models that will tow 6,100 to 6,500 lbs. Nothing that will tow the big numbers, but without the "bells and whistles" I have never had a GM product, but my parents had a couple way-back-when (1977 & 1986) which were disasters. Still, if the price was right and the truck was right I would drive a Chevy. Mileage is not a big concern. I have a Toyota Corolla for an every-day-driver, so the truck will be parked except when I need to drive it. It just seems to me that the dealers are stocking what the average person is buying, and the average person buying a pickup truck these days is more interested in electronic do-dads than with a truck's actual ability to do anything useful. In other words, they are catering to "lifestyle" buyers, as I have seen it stated. Yes, I will have to order, but that won't get me the deal that buying out of stock would.

I would not base your opinion on a truck you bought 15 years ago. That goes for both your Ranger and your parents GM trucks.

I don't think your looking at 1/2 ton trucks with Toyota and Nissan. I had a 2008 Nissan Titan and it had a 9,500# tow rating and was a pure beast! It pulled my 9,700# boat about 30,000 miles over 8 or 9 states and my 18' car hauler with loads upto 7,500# about 10,000 miles over 5 states. I traded it last year with 100,000 miles and was dead reliable. Only unscheduled maintaince was a $4 tail light bulb. That's it other than 2 sets of tires, a set of brakes, and fluid flushes at 60,000 miles. It got 5,000 mile oil changes and that's it.

Toyota has Tundra trucks rated upto 10,000# or so.

Chris