3/4 ton mpg empty?

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #52  
KiotiKowboy, don't you have larger tires on your truck? That makes a big difference.

That link is probably better at comparing the 3 brands against each other vs. what any one person should expect in the real world since everyone's driving style is different.

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #53  
That link is probably better at comparing the 3 brands against each other vs. what any one person should expect in the real world since everyone's driving style is different.

I agree

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #54  
Note that the ford had the highest rearend

Yeah, I think that is a lot of the reason that the Ford fell so much when loaded compared to the others. If I were running empty most of the time, I would go with the lower gears.

EDIT: To clarify: lower numerically, higher gears.

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #55  
Yes ... but .... in reality, they're not THAT much larger. I swapped out the factory tires/wheels and went with 19" Fuel Krank wheels and 33" all-terrain tires. The original tires were 31.9"

Truck2.jpg

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #56  
Yes ... but .... in reality, they're not THAT much larger. I swapped out the factory tires/wheels and went with 19" Fuel Krank wheels and 33" all-terrain tires. The original tires were 31.9"

Well, that is 3.4% difference in circumference, so you are actually getting 3.4% better fuel economy than what you think (unless you had the speedo calibrated) since you are traveling 3.4% further than your odometer reads. At 14 MPG, that's a .5 MPG difference. A tremendous amount! :laughing:

That doesn't take into account the extra energy it takes to turn the larger, heavier, wheels and tires. That's probably good for another .5 MPG or so.

That sure is a sharp truck! :thumbsup:

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #57  
And by the way I never derailed anything. I told him numbers for gas and diesel 3/4 ton trucks then brought up the Ecoboost as an option. My numbers seem to jive with what others are getting from their 3/4 ton trucks. The Eco-diesel RAM was not brought up till much later.

Chris

You can pretend all you want. You guys derailed the thread from talking about 3/4 ton gas mileage to eco boosts and eco diesel neither of which are 3/4 ton trucks. Happens all the time. It's obvious to the rest of us.

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #58  
Did you read the text at the link you quoted?

Yep. Looks like that truck will tow 7-9k pounds depending on options. Your point?

That doesn't fit what the OP is looking for. Not even close. So, let's just leave it at that and move on, eh?

So now you want to actually talk about the OP. Hilarious since you were one of the folks who derailed the thread in the first place.

The Ram ED is a 1/2 ton, right? It wasn't Diamondpilot that brought it up.

SSDD.

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #59  
I considered having the speedometer recalculated - more about not getting a nice ticket than anything else. Turns out, at least according to the dealer, the recalc is a programming change that has to be backed out for many warranty repair issues. I decided if I keep my speed below 80 on the gauge, it should be safe enough to avoid a hassle. At lesser speeds, the difference in MPH is not significant enough to care.

And - thanks :)

/ 3/4 ton mpg empty? #60  
I considered having the speedometer recalculated - more about not getting a nice ticket than anything else. Turns out, at least according to the dealer, the recalc is a programming change that has to be backed out for many warranty repair issues. I decided if I keep my speed below 80 on the gauge, it should be safe enough to avoid a hassle. At lesser speeds, the difference in MPH is not significant enough to care.

And - thanks :)

In reality, most speedos display 2-3 MPG fast from the factory anyway (although the odometer is spot on), so your speedo is probably about spot-on. Check it with a GPS and I'd bet it's within 1 MPH at 70. Your odo will still be 3.4% slow though, so when you sell your truck with 100k miles, it will actually have 103k. :)