3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #11  
If the majority of the time you will be pulling a heavy trailer, you are better off with the higher ratio. But you won't be happy when you are zooming down the road without the trailer. If it was me, I'd go with the 3.73. Of course, I don't try to zoom around like an idiot when I am pulling something, passing folks at 80 mph, cutting in and out of traffic, and generally just bide my time at 65 in the right lane with the other old foggies..... :)

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #12  
I have 3.73 in a ford 6.0psd f250, I have 4.10 in a f350 7.3psd, and 4.88 in a f450 7.3psd.

Basically what's been said coveres it.

lower gears get heavy loads rolling easier from the line.

lower gears eat into fuel milage

lower gears ultimately limit your top end speed.

Higher gears scream fast when unloaded.. but might take a beating getting a huge load up to speed, might find some auto downshifting taking large hills when towing.

Having all 3, the 4.10 is a good compromise. I can cruise at interstate speeds and tow better than 3.73. the 4.88 is great for ultra heavy loads.. but I get passed on the interstate... :)

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #13  
Something else to think about is how will you drive the truck when empty. If you want to drive 80 mph down the interstate, you will hate 4.10's. On the other hand if you don't do a lot of high speed driving, 4.10's won't really hurt your fuel mileage that much and let you tow more and take some stress of the drivetrain.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #14  
Something else to think about is how will you drive the truck when empty. If you want to drive 80 mph down the interstate, you will hate 4.10's. On the other hand if you don't do a lot of high speed driving, 4.10's won't really hurt your fuel mileage that much and let you tow more and take some stress of the drivetrain.

80's not horrid on 4.10 it's not possible on 4.88's :) looking at late 90's superduty fords.. etc.

all depends on what your engine rpm works out too, and what trans options you have.

I do plenty of 75+/- mph on 4.10 nearly every day. not a big deal.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears
Most of my driving whether empty or loaded is on rural highways running 55 to 65 mph, rarely on interstate, and not to much big city driving. Can get the truck I am looking at for 30% off list so that makes the 3.73 gears tempting

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #16  
I have 3.73 on my 2012 2500 hemi which I think has a lower 6th gear than the chevys and it is ok with the tiny stock tires but really bogged the truck down when stepping up to some 33" tall all terrain tires. I got a sweet deal on a truck on the lot is the only reason I went with 3.73. I will do a 4.1 gear swap when I get time or maybe 4.56 if I plan on running 35" tires down the road.

My neighbor has a 2010 2500 HD Hemi with a 9" lift and 35's...The 4:56's are certainly put to good use in his. He pulls a TT similar to mine and it does that well.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #17  
My Tundra 5.7 has a tow package with 4:30 gears, with the 6spd transmission it is not a problem at high speeds or for gas mileage.

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #18  
Sometimes, for whatever reason, the tow and load ratings stay the same, no matter which rear end you have. Take my truck, for instance: Dodge Towing Guide - By Vehicle Results

Mine has the 3.73. On the flat great plains, that's just fine. In more hilly country, I'd probably want the 4.10. Either way, the tow rating remains the same. :confused3:

Joe

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #19  
In all my trucks I find the 3.73 in the sweet spot with the 4.10 coming in second. I wish my f-150 had 3.73's but I make do and still tow 10k with it. Gets good economy with the 3.55's. All my trucks were ordered with the 3.73's including my diesels. CJ

/ 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears #20  
My neighbor has a 2010 2500 HD Hemi with a 9" lift and 35's...The 4:56's are certainly put to good use in his. He pulls a TT similar to mine and it does that well.

When you start changing tire sizes like that the gear ratio really suffers. The last set of gears I put into a GM were 4.88's to get the customer back into the desired RPM range. I think he was in the 35" range also. Go to Randy's ring and pinion and he has a configure program for gear ratio and engine rpm. Works slick and you can gain good insite by using it. CJ