3 acreas mower

/ 3 acreas mower #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Looking for a mower that is capable of mowing 3 acareas. We do have slope but nothing that is going to make a mower tip no matter what direction you mow Budget is playiong a part in making a choice. Deck size is not too important but would play a part in pricing. I want to do my own work on what ever I buy to save money in operating cost. Been looking at mowers at lowes But some of them look cheap made. Let me know what you have and what it has been like to own it. Not sure what to buy with all the foreign made parts out there. Dependibility is very important Thanks

/ 3 acreas mower #2  
What type of terrain do you have? Is it smooth, bumpy, ? We have a Kubota GR2110 with a 54" deck, 3 cyl water cooled diesel that has taken care of our 3.5 acres for the past 7 years and is still going strong. You say deck size is not too important. Trust me, it will be. It takes me roughly 5 - 6 hrs to cut everything. Which is why I generally don't cut everything at once.

/ 3 acreas mower #3  
Look at Simplicty;a friend purchased a Broadmor a couple years ago,well made for sure.

/ 3 acreas mower #4  
Confucious say Box Store. Pay less fix more.

/ 3 acreas mower #5  
You are right to stay away from the box store models if you want long term reliability. hslogger nailed it. The mowers there are built to hit a price model not long term use.

With budget an issues might want to look at used commercial like Hustler, JD, Kubota, Grasshopper and there are some I forgot.

/ 3 acreas mower #6  
Stay well away from the big box store mowers. I'd look for a used commercial grade ZTR. My personal choice would be a front deck Grasshopper diesel. A front deck mower is better at nearly everything. The only downside is the machine is longer making it slower in a tight place. I don't think deck size is terribly important. I can cut 3 acres of nice flat yard in about an hour using my ZTR with a 50" deck. In more realistic conditions ( with trees, hills, buildings, or rough ground ) it might take me 1.5-2 hours.

/ 3 acreas mower #7  
you didn't list your budget but for under $2k you can buy a used Kubota from Tractorhouse.com that would mow 3acres. If your budget is more and you can afford a ZTR I agree with those mentioned above. How much money do we have to spend for you? :D

/ 3 acreas mower #8  
Do you have any farm implement dealers nearby? Parts availability is a must. Box store mowers? Good luck with that.
Dealers should be able to find something reliable, tough, and efficient at a decent price. It will probably be higher priced than the box store, but it will last 3 to 10 times longer.

/ 3 acreas mower #9  
What type of terrain do you have? Is it smooth, bumpy, ? We have a Kubota GR2110 with a 54" deck, 3 cyl water cooled diesel that has taken care of our 3.5 acres for the past 7 years and is still going strong. You say deck size is not too important. Trust me, it will be. It takes me roughly 5 - 6 hrs to cut everything. Which is why I generally don't cut everything at once.
You could cut that in 1/3 the time with a good zero turn. I mow 6 acres with my Ferris IS 700Z with 52" deck in 2.5-3 hours and I have over 100 trees and shrubs to mow around.

/ 3 acreas mower #10  
You could cut that in 1/3 the time with a good zero turn. I mow 6 acres with my Ferris IS 700Z with 52" deck in 2.5-3 hours and I have over 100 trees and shrubs to mow around.

Maybe so. The back 2.5 acres is very rough. Can't mow at a higher speed unless you wear a kidney belt. Picked up a Ford 3000 & a 5ft bush hog to take care of the majority of it and will use the Kubota around the house.