3 point hitch carry all as a road maintenance drag?

/ 3 point hitch carry all as a road maintenance drag? #1  

beowulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3410 HST, J Deere riding mower
We had a new road cut and 3/4 crushed rock laid - about 500 feet and 10-15% grade. We also have another driveway (800') I maintain with my grader blade (nice crown there). Anyway, for the new road, I have used my box blade and grader to spread the crushed rock, but not ideal - doable, but I am looking for a better way. I have built pull-behind drags before (like chainlink fence gates with weight) but I don't quite get the control I like. I wired a chainlink fence gate beneath my box blade which gives me some control and it works somewhat but not a lot of visibility as I spead. I can likely get the job done, but as I have this project and other roads to tend to, I wanted a solution that gave me the following: Control (front to back, side to side tilt), and visability from the seat. So, this is what I am thinking: What if I used a carry all frame on the 3 pint hitch with, e.g., a chainlink fence gate attached beneath it. I would have the visibility I want as I drag, and also the control - pitch and side to side, and could raise and lower as necessary. I think it will work, and better than just dragging something along behind the tractor - especially when I have to turn around and reattach it for return runs. Suggestions? Issues? Alternatives?

BTW - I know that they make 3 point hitch 'drags's and am considering that, but cost is same as a carry all, and they seem less robust, and carry all has other uses.

/ 3 point hitch carry all as a road maintenance drag? #2  
Here is a pic of this carry all you speak.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-22 112809.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-22 112809.png
    226.3 KB · Views: 31
   / 3 point hitch carry all as a road maintenance drag?
Here is a pic of this carry all you speak.
Scootr, that is the one I am looking at. I have one already but I built it up as a true carry-all, and now call it my ranch-uber. The grandkids love it. Otherwise we use it to carry tools, chainsaws, etc. to the back country as needed. The sides and front come off but the back and bottom are bolted on so can't reall use it as my 'drag'.

Attachments

• 259823581_10223226777712119_9206055085378306012_n.jpg
    259823581_10223226777712119_9206055085378306012_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 56
   / 3 point hitch carry all as a road maintenance drag? #4  
I have 3/4 crushed rock gravel in my drive around the house and barn. So I have 4 hills and some flats. It's a challenge keeping the rock on the hills and tractors tend to dig too deep in loose gravel - problem is exasperated by the gannon tilting down when the wheels start up hill and doing the opposite at the top of the incline. Recently decided to try a drag after staring at a angle iron crate I got an attachment in. With a few mods and a bit of chain I got experimenting. I ended up with multi bladed drag that has 1" skids on it to maintain the spread thickness desired.
I'll get a few pics later, it may give you some ideas.