3-Point Hitch 3-point hitch never been used; will not operate

/ 3-point hitch never been used; will not operate #1  

tc40da-rg

Tractor
2004 New Holland TC40DA w/hydrostatic transmission & 4wd; 1983, MF 230
I have had a backhoe on my New Holland tc40da every since I owned it. The original owner said the PTO (and 3-point hitch) have never even been engaged.
I took the backhoe off and connected our old bush-hog; but the 3-point hitch will not lift -- in fact, it does not respond/operate at all. Is there a valve, switch, ??? That activates the system?
As a side note, I don't yet know if the PTO is going to work or not either, because the way the bush-hog is sitting on supports, it can't spin until it is lifted.

/ 3-point hitch never been used; will not operate
QUICK UPDATE: The tractor has a (New Holland) front end loader AND an aftermarket root grapple. I was just told that the aftermarket grapple hydraulics likely shutdown/ re-routed the 3-point hitch.
Now, I suppose I need to know how to re-activate the 3-point hitch hydraulics BUT, it needs to be a "quick and easy " change over, as I need the ability to swap out backhoe and bush hog regularly.

/ 3-point hitch never been used; will not operate #3  
Did you connect the hydraulic hose to the power beyond port after removing the hoe? This is what supplies pressure to the 3pt. Disconnect long hose from backhoe under tractor then connect hose from tractor side to fitting that is hard piped under brake pedal area.

Last edited:
Did you connect the hydraulic hose to the power beyond port after removing the hoe? This is what supplies pressure to the 3pt. Disconnect long hose from backhoe under tractor then connect hose from tractor side to fitting that is hard piped under brake pedal area.

I do believe that is what I need to do, I just don't know how. Is the "power beyond port" / "fitting that is hard piped under brake pedal area" one & the same? And is it under BRAKE pedal or FORWARD/REVERSE side of tractor? I see a port under the latter with a male quick connect. Is this the PB port?
I think the hoses going/coming from the backhoe have changed with the addition of the root grapple and I am confused as to what went where originally. AND, how to make the re-connections. I do believe I may need to have different hydraulic line made.

/ 3-point hitch never been used; will not operate #5  
Some pictures would be needed to help out. Power beyond set-ups usually have a plumbed bypass loop that two lines from the backhoe join to... flexible hoses rather than hard-plumbed so they can be quickly and easily rerouted. Was the work done DIY or locally at least? Trace back your grapple lines and get some pictures and someone better educated than me may have an immediate answer.

Thank you, brown40. I will try to get some pictures of how it's set up, but sure hope you will be able to make out what they are.
I did the work myself to install the root grapple, but it's been about four or five years ago and I was simply following instructions at the time Other than that, I was pretty much clueless and was amazed when everything worked properly when I finished. But I simply do not remember any of the details of the installation and certainly not what the hydraulics looked like before I started. I (and the tractor) am/are 160 miles away from home, which is where my owners manuals for both the tractor and the root grapple are. So I don't have those references to aid me.
I know that there is a long flexible hydraulic line (from original/factory) that is still in the framework of the backhoe that is not being used with the grapple setup. Also, I had to make a short pigtail (with male quick connect couplers on both ends) to circulate the hydraulic fluid for the root grapple, when I removed the Backhoe. Without the pigtail, the FEL movement was very, very limited and the root "grapple" would not operate at all.

More than three years later, and still have not figured out how to get pto and/or 3-point hitch working.
Right now, I have a more pressing issue: The tractor’s hydrostatic pedals WILL NOTstay in neutral position. In fact, the “Forward pedal” immediately lunges down/ forward as soon as the tractor starts; and, I have to hold the brake pedal while trying to “center” the two hydro pedals (with my right foot) to keep any kind of control of the tractor. If I press too far on the reverse pedal (without countering on the forward pedal), the tractor will lunge in reverse! This is extremely dangerous and equally frustrating. Help!?