3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #1  

bartonkj

Tractor
New Holland TC29DA
TC29DA. I've never had any problems with the 3 point hitch until now. It won't lift the brush hog off the ground. Sometimes it will lift the arms a little bit (I hear the pump working when it does), but then it just stops and doesn't raise the mower off the ground. Sometimes it won't lift the arms at all (and I don't hear the pump working it doesn't raise the arms). I disconnected the mower and it still only raises the arms part way, although it seems to be more consistent.

Front end loader works fine. Hydrostatic transmission works fine. The control valve under the seat is fully open. The rockshaft arm moves through the entire range of motion and the linkage appears to move through the entire range of motion (but I can't say this with 100% certainty - but, nothing looks out of place with the linkage). I can't reach the linkage on the control valve with my hands to see if it will move the control valve any further, as the rear tire is in the way. The hydraulic fluid is full, and there aren't many hours on the fluid or the filter. I can manually lift the 3 point arms through their full range of motion. Help. Thanks.

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #2  
The o rings on the piston on these are known to wear and leak internally.
Fortunately can be replaced from the top you just need to remove seat to get to everything.

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way
The o rings on the piston on these are known to wear and leak internally.
Fortunately can be replaced from the top you just need to remove seat to get to everything.
Is there any further testing I should / can perform to confirm this is the problem? Also, can you help me identify where these are on a parts diagram or the service manual so I know what I need to get and where they are? And, which piston are you referring to? Thanks so much.

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #5  
Is the piston and O ring you speak of numbers 10 and 36 on this diagram?

Also, will I really have to remove the lift cover from the tractor to replace that O ring? Thanks.
No, you do not need to lift the entire lift cover.. thanks god! it is an excellent design that Shibaura's have. You only need to remove lift cover head that has 5 bolts where rabbit/turtle is in front of the operator seat. It is no different that Ford 1700. I have a ton of info about that in NH Operating forum. Just search, it is a simple install. Just be sure with the orientation of double lipped seal. The lips should face the cylinder head. Take a pic before you remove the old seal. This is a totally non-destructive removal and you will be able to see if seal is okay or not before moving to replace it. A question here, let's see if you lift something up to the max it goes, turn the tractor off and see how fast or slow does it lower or does it lower at all? that would be your tell tale sign of a bad seal. Your lift spool can be potentially bad but that is extremely rare.

Last edited:
   / 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #6  
Make sure of the orientation of the parts you remove. Some can be replaced 180 out and cause all kinds of people to try to help you figure that one out!
(ask me how I know,

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #7  
Make sure of the orientation of the parts you remove. Some can be replaced 180 out and cause all kinds of people to try to help you figure that one out!
(ask me how I know, lol!
David from jax

/ 3 Point Hitch Not Raising All The Way #8  
That happens as we age. Talk to your doctor to see if it is normal.