3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ?

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #1  

Dave___in___CT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130, LA723 Loader, BH90 Backhoe, Curtis Cab, || '82 Gravely 8199KT garden tractor
Hi...

When attaching an implement (grader blade, mower deck) to the 3-point-hitch....
Should the 2 lower link arms be attached before the top link ?

How about when detaching the implement ?

I knew once... but don't remember now... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks...

Dave...

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #2  
I connect the lower ones, hook up the PTO (if needed), then the upper one.

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #3  
I like hooking up the lower arms first, then the upper link. I then adjust the upper link to get the implement plumb to the tractor before hooking up the PTO shaft (if implement has one) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #4  
You make a good point about getting the implement plumb to the tractor before hooking up the PTO shaft, I almost never use a rear PTO but next time I do I will remember your tip. Thanks.

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #5  
Interestingly enough I never asked anybody or really thought about it, just did it.

I always hook up the the 3pt arms first. This gives me a couple options. (1) Drive the tractor forward/back to rock the implement so the top link lines up. This was before my HTL. (2) Use the HTL to line up the top link.

This way I'm only trying to line up one hole vs two.(edit...At the same time)

Now I just use a quick hitch and it's a non-issue until I need the backhoe.

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ?
Sequence for detaching the implement ?

Dave...

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #7  
I've done it both ways and don't know that one is better/easier than the other. Usually it was one of the 3pt pins and the top link then the other 3pt pin. Just depends on which side of the tractor I was on first and which way the pin handle was facing.

Note...My implements have always been on fairly flat level ground when connecting/dropping.

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #8  
I am usually on uneven ground so what ever lines up first get connected....before the pry bar comes out :p

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #9  
You need to hook up the lower arm that is not adjustable first. Then hook up the adjustable lower arm. Hook the third arm last.

/ 3-Point-Hitch - What hooks-up 1st ? #10  
When his L3130 shows up both 3pt links are extendable and both sway arms are adjustable.