3-point hitch won't stay down

/ 3-point hitch won't stay down #1  

joneskm

I recently acquired a 1987 John Deere 850 diesel/4x4 with a house I purchased in Nov. I have a bush hog attached to the 3-point hitch. The hitch will not stay in the down position so I can mow. I can push the lever into the down position and the bush hog will go down. Once I let go of the lever, the lever and bush hog return to the up position. I am sure I could make some linkage adjustments to make it permanently stay in the down position, but then I can't lift it to travel and avoid obstacles.

Called JD service shop near my house and they don't have a clue and haven't heard of the problem before.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Kevin

/ 3-point hitch won't stay down #2  
First off 3 point hitch's are gravity down. Well 99.9% of the time so I am pretty sure yours is. What this means in gravity and the weight of the implement make it drop. It only uses hydro pressure to lift it.

My guess is the valve is internally either stuck or bypassing the fluid to the up position due to worn seals. I would take apart the lift valve and clean it up looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Do not go adjusting stuff to make it stay down. It will cause bigger problems and tear up the pump or more due to the heat it will generate.

Chris

/ 3-point hitch won't stay down #3  
I have a 87 john deere 1050 and I am thinking that you are pushing down the draft sensing lever that is located behind the seat. The rockshaft conotrol lever is located on the right side adjacent to the seat.

/ 3-point hitch won't stay down #4  
Since the lift is moving with the lever, that sound like there is a spring attached and the friction washers are loose. ie. The spring just pulls the lever back and the lift follows the lever.

/ 3-point hitch won't stay down #5  
I agree ...