3 Point Plug Core Aerator

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #11  
Looks well built, but 60" max size though.....

-Jer.

60" can cover a lot of ground. True not really made for a pasture, rather lawn care. Yeah Woods & others make a 72" but the wider width means more weight need to sink the tines in because the weight is distributed in less than ideal coring condition. As the OP only has 2.5 acres, I think 60" would make quick work of the job.

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #12  
I havent looked lately... BUT Sears and Lowes could special order a 3pt aerator - it was basically the pull behind with a 3pt hitch added.. It was around $300 to $400 dollars IIRC and would work OK for personal use, but probably wouldnt hold up to a lot of use..

Brian

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #13  
   / 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #14  
I kept an eye on local CL for over a year before i found mine. It's a 48" Bannerman "multi-ject". I was looking for a 60" but this was for sale about an hour away for $300 and was used about once or twice, couldn't pass it up. I set 4 80 lb tractor weights on it and it will pull 3-4" cores no problem, takes about 6 hours to do my 6 acres of lawn (2 passes)

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #15  
I bought a Bush Hog brand PG720 about 10 years ago. It does a great job, and really helps in the pasture, and hay field. I used solid core cement blocks on it for weight, for good penetration.

I found mine by doing a lot of searching on the internet. I decided on the model I wanted, then scoured many pages of Google search, entering that model number. You'll get a lot more hits that way, then just searching dealer sites.

This one was a nos sitting around for a couple years at a smaller dealer, and just wanted it off his lot. At the time, when others were asking approx. $1200.00 for the same model, I got this one for $800.00 out the door.

To date, no broken spoons, or any other breakage, and that's running it over approx. 9 acres of pasture & hay ground per year.

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #16  
I have a 60" Frontier 3 pt core aerator. Bought it used from local JD dealer. They said the guy that traded it in never used it. It was too big for his properties. It had never touched the ground. It was like new. Its a CA 2060E model. E stands for Economy. It has 6 spoons instead of 8 like the standard models have. Still has the heavy duty frame just less spoons.

Since it was classified used I took it home and tried it out. I liked it and it did a good job. Never took it back. Got it for 1150 bucks as compared to 1800 for a new one.

You just don't see them very often for sale. Glad I found this one.

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #17  
I just bought the same model yesterday CA2060E. It's been stored indoors, used very little and looks very nice - can't wait to try it.

I tried to get a price on the ballast boxes but the JD parts website says the part isn't available. Anyone know more about this?

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #18  
I just bought the same model yesterday CA2060E. It's been stored indoors, used very little and looks very nice - can't wait to try it.

I tried to get a price on the ballast boxes but the JD parts website says the part isn't available. Anyone know more about this?

You'll like it. Before I bought mine I tried it out and I thot there were enough cores taken out with the six spoons to get the job done.

The JD BB won't come up as a part on the website. Its considered equipment. The last time I was up to the JD dealer I got a price of around 225.00 I think.

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #19  
$225 is really rich, and to think its not even green! Fo that kind of money I might just go with a few bags of sand and call it a day.

/ 3 Point Plug Core Aerator #20  
I got the ballast boxes thrown in when I got mine. I filled them with sand. They sucked.

Since then, I've formed myself 2 concrete blocks with rebar hooks on them, and that works pretty well. I think the 2 blocks add about 1000lbs.... Pulls nice cores now.

The biggest key I find, is waiting until the top few inches of soil are moist from a rain. That's when the real goose turds are produced.

-J.