Snow Attachments 3 point snowblower question..

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #1  

TractorHound2

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100
Hey all! Have a question and hoping for some thoughts. I own a 4100 hst, and have been searching for a rear snowblower. Finally came across a great deal on a pronovost puma 54? Now my question is, since the puma is rated 18-25 hp and the 4100 is 16/17 hp at the rear pto, will I be ok using it being at the very, very low end of the hp requirement...? I知 thinking I値l just have to adjust my speed with dealing with some of the thicker heavier stuff..? I live in CT so we can get a mixture of snow (heavy, fluffy, etc.). My driveway is long and narrow but thankfully paved. So, ultimately I壇 love to hear from some 4100, and series, owners or anyone with a similar size tractor, for some input. Thanks in advance!
The hound

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #2  
A horsepower rating for a snowblower are just ballpark estimates that assumes you are blowing X pounds of snow per second. We don't know what this number is.

When you think about it, X lbs/sec going through snowblower will be a factor of:
- snow depth.
- snow density (powder or mashed potatoes?)
- speed.
- width of snowblower (do you take a full width "bite" each pass?)
- other factors?

Mother nature controls a few of these variables, but operator (with a infinitely variable hydro transmission) control the others. You can always go slower.

We don't know if manufacturer made rating based on a 6" or 24" storm. Or for Colorado powder or a wet Nor'Easter? For 1 mph or 5mph? For 100% width or 80%

If your tractor can easily lift snowblower (i.e. blower isn't too physically big) you're good to go.

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #3  
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had a 60" blower on my 2320 (18 PTO HP) and it was fine. I just slowed down in the heavy stuff. Since you have a HST, it should be easy. I also have a long narrow concrete driveway. In the interest of full disclosure, I sold the snowblower when I adapted a 60" ATV snowplow to my tractor. I find it much quicker and easier.

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #4  
Hey all! Have a question and hoping for some thoughts. I own a 4100 hst, and have been searching for a rear snowblower. Finally came across a great deal on a pronovost puma 54? Now my question is, since the puma is rated 18-25 hp and the 4100 is 16/17 hp at the rear pto, will I be ok using it being at the very, very low end of the hp requirement...? I知 thinking I値l just have to adjust my speed with dealing with some of the thicker heavier stuff..? I live in CT so we can get a mixture of snow (heavy, fluffy, etc.). My driveway is long and narrow but thankfully paved. So, ultimately I壇 love to hear from some 4100, and series, owners or anyone with a similar size tractor, for some input. Thanks in advance!
The hound

I have a woodmaxx 60 inch snowblower(rated 18hp to ?)and my GC2410 (PTO at 18.7 hp)...because the unit weights over 600lbs it can be tricky to get the traction to push it through. The HP rating on my tractor is at the lower recommendation for the 60 inch blower and it does very well.
My solution was rear tire chains-makes the tractor unstoppable. Just use the upper 540 rpm speed setting and leave it there, then adjust your tractor speed accordingly keeping an eye and ear out for engine rpm.
My first year I wore hearing protection and had to disable my tach cable because the grease used in it froze. Last year I replaced the tach gears and can now use it to help determine rpm....it worked so well.
I am looking for weights for the front but for now just fill the loader bucket with snow or sand.

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #5  
I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had a 60" blower on my 2320 (18 PTO HP) and it was fine. I just slowed down in the heavy stuff. Since you have a HST, it should be easy. I also have a long narrow concrete driveway. In the interest of full disclosure, I sold the snowblower when I adapted a 60" ATV snowplow to my tractor. I find it much quicker and easier.

Bingo! If you have the place to push the snow a blade is much faster. It also has far fewer moving parts and requires less maintenance. Oh and it’s cheaper. Finally, typically you aren’t driving backwards.

With that said, if you don’t have the space to push the show the blower would be the tool to use.

A blower that is on the big side will tend to bog down and not throw the snow like you would like. When this happens it can actually make the job go slower. In the world of blowers, smaller is better. IMHO. I’d rather move a bit faster, throwing the snow a good distance with a smaller blower. The other option is creeping along, watching the snow bog the machine down, dealing with jammed snow in the blower and blowing the same snow more than once.......

CT is the wet heavy stuff from what I’ve heard. It’s not the dry snow you sweep off with a push broom.

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #7  
My only low hp experience was with a 72" blower and 24 hp at the PTO. It was fine, though at times I would have to go a little slower than I would have liked. Your hp vs width is very close to my previous use.
Heavy wet snow will bring practically any tractor to its knees under the right conditions. I generally move slow enough that I don't start piling up snow in front of the auger, which let's the blower process the snow, and doesn't ask the tractor to push a big pile of snow.

/ 3 point snowblower question..
Wow! Thanks for all the input! @RNeumann, I agree that plowing is way faster, however, like you mentioned, I run out of space with the 600 of driveway along the sides, so I need to move the snow up and out. @KennyG, I use my atv and the 60 plow for snow removal the last year or two. You致e piqued my interest with the adaptation of the atv plow to your tractor. Any pics/ links to view that set up..? Sounds like a good idea especially if the snowfall is light and I知 unable to blow it. Would rather not have to use the atv if I don稚 have to...

/ 3 point snowblower question.. #9  
   / 3 point snowblower question.. #10  
You will have sufficient HP. The condition/depth of the snow will be the telling factor. Heavy, wet snow is just simply tough to blow. For 27 years I used a 60" blower and 26hp tractor on my mile long gravel driveway. I had plenty of hp - wet, heavy snow is a b**ch.

You will find the Pronovost an excellent implement.