3-Point Hitch 3-Point Width Adjustment?

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #1  

Kwehme09

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310
I run a Kioti 2610 with a 54" rear mount blower (Kioti, but made by Woods). The ears where the 3-point arms attach to the blower have begun to flare outward as if the arms are forcing themselves too wide against them. I am aware of the turnbuckles that control the swing of the attachment. These do pull outward if turned to tight, and I keep this in mind when I adjust; loose enough to allow a little swing, but tight enough to keep the arms off the rear wheels and chains. I don't think any sort of tensioner between the arms is an option because it would obstruct the PTO. I could weld some strength into the ears of the blower, but I am surprised the modifications would be necessary.

Am I missing something?

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #2  
I run a Kioti 2610 with a 54" rear mount blower (Kioti, but made by Woods). The ears where the 3-point arms attach to the blower have begun to flare outward as if the arms are forcing themselves too wide against them. I am aware of the turnbuckles that control the swing of the attachment. These do pull outward if turned to tight, and I keep this in mind when I adjust; loose enough to allow a little swing, but tight enough to keep the arms off the rear wheels and chains. I don't think any sort of tensioner between the arms is an option because it would obstruct the PTO. I could weld some strength into the ears of the blower, but I am surprised the modifications would be necessary.

Am I missing something?
You seem to have turnbuckles adjusted right.
Do you have a "little swing" over the full height range of 3PTH, or does it tighten up when fully raised?
Do you have a quick-connect hitch or Pat's Easy Change on 3PTH? What I've learned from using a Pat's system is that as an attachment is raised and lowered on 3PTH the angle of the lift arms to the attachment pins changes (thus the ball in the lift arm is important). Pat's system (and maybe quick hitches?) don't account for this change or have any type of ball, and can induce a lot of stress that would want to "re-angle" the pins, or twist what they're mounted too.

Actually it seems like the pins have twisted to where they need to be...and if it didn't break....

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #3  
A picture or three may help us understand a bit better.

My tractor doesn't have turnbuckles, instead it has tubes that are pinned to control how far out the arms can move. I don't know if that would help you or not.

I also have bushings to reduce the side to side movement between the 3 point arms and the snowblower attachment point.
IMG_0289.JPG

I suspect you will need to beef up your snowblower attachment ears.

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #4  
You seem to have turnbuckles adjusted right.
Do you have a "little swing" over the full height range of 3PTH, or does it tighten up when fully raised?
Do you have a quick-connect hitch or Pat's Easy Change on 3PTH? What I've learned from using a Pat's system is that as an attachment is raised and lowered on 3PTH the angle of the lift arms to the attachment pins changes (thus the ball in the lift arm is important). Pat's system (and maybe quick hitches?) don't account for this change or have any type of ball, and can induce a lot of stress that would want to "re-angle" the pins, or twist what they're mounted too.

Actually it seems like the pins have twisted to where they need to be...and if it didn't break....

That's why we use these in Europe:

12_EC1-1024x1024.jpg

These together with telescopic side links, makes for a really nice and fast setup.

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #5  
I run a Kioti 2610 with a 54" rear mount blower (Kioti, but made by Woods). I am surprised the modifications would be necessary.

I would call Woods. Woods may have gotten a shipment of off-spec steel.

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #6  
Sound like poor design of blower, by not having enough material to keep lower arms stabilized at proper width... How about a a bit of chain and turnbuckle between lower arms to stabilize width...

Dale

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #7  
Hopefully there's a simple fix or adjustment....
....but if "something" has to bend somewhere, and you reinforce it so it can't.....
...then something else has to bend, snap or jam.

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #8  
That's why we use these in Europe:

View attachment 630053

These together with telescopic side links, makes for a really nice and fast setup.

Well that's cool! It's like a Pat's Easy Change system only welded on the lift arm and with the added benefit of a ball. Nice!

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment?
Snowblower.jpg3-pt hitch.jpg

Pictures are not of my tractor but show the blower and 3-pt hitch. To me, it seems the ears are poorly designed and weak, but Woods sells a lot of blowers so I can't imagine I'm the only one who has seen this.
Chain and turnbuckles between the arms would interfere with PTO.

/ 3-Point Width Adjustment? #10  
The quick fix would be to use the appropriate size bolt and nut in place of the pin. That will hold the outer flange relative to the inner flange.

But I agree, the flanges should have been made heavy enough to take the pressure. Notify the manufacturer, see what they have to say.