3 point wood splitter

/ 3 point wood splitter #1  

teach

Silver Member
Question: I have a 21 hsp hydro Kubota b7500, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a 3 pt wood splitter that will run reasonably fast (similar to a stand-alone splitter in the 20-ish ton range)? Also, can a 3 pt splitter be run off the loader's hydro's? I don't have rear remotes. I split about 6 cords a year, but am getting tired of maintaining multiple engines and I am trying to simplify, and tired of people borrowing and beating on my stand-alone.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you might have.
Teach

/ 3 point wood splitter #2  
With the flow rates on a B, I think you'd be disappointed in the speed. You might want to look into one where a hydraulic pump is driven off the tractor's PTO. Conceivably, that would allow you to generate flow rates that are not limited by the tractor's hydraulics.

/ 3 point wood splitter #3  
Question: I have a 21 hsp hydro Kubota b7500, and was wondering if anyone can recommend a 3 pt wood splitter that will run reasonably fast (similar to a stand-alone splitter in the 20-ish ton range)? Also, can a 3 pt splitter be run off the loader's hydro's? I don't have rear remotes. I split about 6 cords a year, but am getting tired of maintaining multiple engines and I am trying to simplify, and tired of people borrowing and beating on my stand-alone.
Thank you in advance for any ideas you might have.
Teach
I understand your desire to not maintain so many engines but I might have to start thinking about a second tractor as I have so many thing i can do with the tractor now I need another and great example is powering the wood splitter and bringing the wood to the splitter. It seems like about once every other week I run into situation where it would be really nice to have another tractor. the bottom line is that I would not want to tie up my tractor in splitting the wood.

/ 3 point wood splitter #4  
Your tractor only has 7 GPM hydraulic flow. Unless you use a tiny cylinder like a 5 ton it will run painfully slow. You could use a PTO pump which would provide a much faster cycle time.

/ 3 point wood splitter #5  
Regen valve will speed up the extend stroke until it needs more power. Similar to the 2 stage pump.but will still return slow.

Pto pump is another option. Can use most of your HP for hydraulics. Where as the onboard pump on your tractor don't use all the tractors hp, or there would be none left for driving around.

Then a pto WITH a regen valve would be the quickest.

None of the options are going to be cheap, since you don't have remotes.

/ 3 point wood splitter
LD1, could I just run a pto pump and plug lines from the pump into the reservoir built into the axle on my splitter? I don't need to move the tractor while running the splitter at the same time. Since I already have a pto pump for my backhoe, I was hoping to be able to also use it for the splitter. Not sure how much of pain that will be to hook up/unhook, but the backhoe is about to come off for the winter anyway (time to start hauling firewood out of the woods).
Thanks for your help.
Teach

/ 3 point wood splitter #7  
Yes you can do that. but you need to know how many GPM the pump is to determine if you need more oil capacity than what the splitter currently holds.

/ 3 point wood splitter #8  
You would be much better off with a gas powered splitter with respectable cycle times. Very frustrating waiting for a slow cylinder to cycle.
My splitter has a 22gpm pump and is powered by a 10hp HH100 Tecumseh which cycles in 6~7 seconds which makes it very efficient.
I then adapted it to mount on my 3pt hitch which made it very easy to move and place.
I bought my tractor to use but running it at full throttle to operate a splitter (slowly) in my opinion is not a wise use for it.

90cummins

/ 3 point wood splitter #9  
Just curious, why "full throttle"?

I use the hydraulics on my JD 790 for my 3-pt splitter at a fast idle. No, it's not fast, but I work alone & i'm not fast either & it works fine for me. HPIM3914.JPG I just added long hoses to hook to the loader bucket connections & tie the joy stick off to the opposite fender.

/ 3 point wood splitter #10  
I bought my tractor to use but running it at full throttle to operate a splitter (slowly) in my opinion is not a wise use for it.
90cummins

IF any of my tractors can't take a steady diet of running for an extended period of time at rated pto speed, i'll call it junk and send it down the road!! That's what tractors are SUPOSE TO be made to do...

On the other hand, I don't run my tractor at pto speed to power my pto powered splitter, because it runs "fast enough" at a lower than pto speed that I don't need to.

BTW, it burns waay less than a gallon of diesel per hr. to run my splitter, that will split ANYTHING I put on the beam, so the cost to run it is very good too...

SR