3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone?

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #71  
I debated the same thing last fall after installing an outside furnace. Decided to go with the 3 point hitch model. Bought a 16 ton Ramsplitter for half of what the other type would have cost. Been very pleased with the 3 point hitch model. Haven't found anything that was too tough for it. I usually run my tractor at about 1200 rpm.

WOULD RUN A 200$ MOTOR or a 10000$ tractor

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #72  
nice rig

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #73  
I favor the stand-along with an engine. I use the tractor FEL to lift logs onto the splitter and other moving. Can't do that if the splitter is attached to the 3 point.

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #74  
I have one of those splitters with the two stage and spitting with it is sooo slow. I got it a trade and it is new. I made my own several years back and initialy ran it off the pto with a very large pump off a piece of logging equipment. Since then I put an engine on it and made it self contained. I still move it on the 3pt, and it works well. I can pick up a round as it has a 10ft boom with a 8000lb hyd winch. Largest I have split was about 6ft dia. The knife is a T and it takes two pieces off the bottom of the block each push. I just let the block down as I take them off and rotate the block as needed with tongs. For you home builders this really puts out the wood. I made it in the early 80's and is still there when I need it.

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #75  
WOULD RUN A 200$ MOTOR or a 10000$ tractor

We've been over this a few times. Since I expect my tractor to outlive me, running the tractor is the obvious choice because it reduces overall maintenance effort and storage space. A few hundred hours at constant RPM will have no measurable impact on a small diesel engine. A wood splitter doesn't require use of the drive train which is probably the limiting factor on most compact tractors.

/ 3-pt Hitch Log Splitter or Gas standalone? #76  
My tractor hyd. Line are full and the wrong size so I use a gas one.